Chapter 5

Why was Jack doing this to me, and not just me but to Babs too. 'Jack what do you want' I said feeling the tears return  as i tried to push them back. It killed me seeing him so happy with another girl and it was like he was rubbing it in my face. I was stood there waiting for what felt like forever and the longer I waited, the harder it was to hold back my tears. I went and sat down on the steps, waiting for Jack to speak.  'Jack please can you just tell me what you want. I'm tired and need to write a letter for...nevermind. I just want to get to bed' I said realising that I don't have Ida to write to anymore to tell her I had returned safely. 

Jack's POV

I was trying to pluck up the courage to tell Hetty what I wanted to tell her, and I could tell that she was starting to get annoyed which just proved my point that she hates me even more. I should just go in and forget it. Then she said that she needed to write a letter then stopped mid sentence. She must have meant Ida. I went and sat next to her and gave her a small smile.

'So Hetty. I have something I need to tell you' I said taking a big breath 'I know you hate me and probably don't care but I should probably start from when you came to see me before you left for Bignor' I was trying to read her to judge if she really did hate me, pausing to see if she said anything. 'Well get on with it' she said after sitting in silence for  a minute. 

'Okay, Okay. So after you left, I felt empty, even though I had Babs there. I didn't want Babs. I realised that I was miserable without you and Callander Hall. So, I came back here and asked Mr Callander if he would consider taking me back, which he did. The following day I ended things with Babs. I hoped that you would return to Callander Hall to reclaim your job, but Gideon told me that you had gone to Bignor to be with Ida, which took me back to being miserable. I missed you everyday Hetty. When you got back I couldn't believe it. It was the first time i'd smiled since you left. But seeing you so sad killed me.' By this point both of us had tears falling down our faces.

'I love you Hetty Feather'