Chapter 3

I could still hear Jack calling me but I ignored him. It hurt too much. I had already lost so much. I had already lost him and I couldn't face loosing him again. I walked up to the front door and rang the bell, where I was greeted by Agnes. She instantly through her arms around me. 'Hetty! What are you doing here?' she asked excitedly. 'It's a long story, I will tell you later but for now I need to speak to Mr Callander' I replied feeling myself get emotional again but pushing it back. 'Oh Hetty what is is?' Agnes asked looking worriedly at my sadness. 'I'll explain later, I promise' and with that she took me to Mr Callander. 

Agnes knocked on the door and he told her to enter. 'You have a visitor Sir' she said politely. 'Oh I wasn't expecting anyone' he replied 'We were quite surprised to see this visitor too sir. But if you don't mind me saying, I think you'll want to see her' Agnes responded being as polite as she could, making me smile behind the slightly closed door. 'Alright then, I'll take your word for it Saint Agnes, show this visitor in' I chuckled to myself that he was using the names from my article, keeping the memory of poor Mrs Callander alive. 

Agnes returned to me 'what you laughing at' she asked 'Saint Agnes' I replied 'It's nice to see I left my legacy around here' Agnes rolled her eyes at me 'go on in' she said with a small chuckle. In all honesty that is the first time I have broke even the tinest of laughs since Ida, even if it was just a slight chuckle 'Thank you' I said, not mentioning what I was thinking but meaning thank you for making me laugh more than letting me in but I wont let Agnes know that. 

I knocked on the door and entered Mr Callander's office. 'Hetty. What are you doing here? I thought you had gone to be a writer at the coast with your mother' he said, shocked. 'Yes sir, that was my plan, but you see, when I arrived in Bignor I found Ida to be very Ill' I said taking a deep breath to prepare myself for what I had to say next, it never got any easier. 'Well you see she, she died Sir. And now I'm left with nowhere to go. It was either here or the Foundling hospital and I know where I'd rather be' I said blinking back my tears. 'Oh Hetty I'm so sorry' 'You see Mr Callander, Sir, I was hoping that your offer for my old position was still open' I asked hopefully 'Of course it is Hetty, I know that my Rosamund would be extremely mad if I didn't, and it has most definitely been quiet here without you' He said back, I chuckled at his last remark 'Thank you so much Sir, you wont regret it, and I know that Ida would be up there now thanking Mrs Callander for taking such good care of me while I have been here' Mr Callander gave me a sorrowful smile 'right then go and unpack and change, im sure Agnes will have plenty for you to do' he said laughing. I thanked him again before leaving his office. 

Agnes was still stood outside when I returned. 'So?' she asked 'He's given me my old position back. I'm off to unpack and then get started on chores' I said as me and Agnes hurried off to my old room.