Chapter 24

Jack and I woke up early this morning, went and joined the others for breakfast and then headed for the station. While sat on the train, I couldn't help but feel nervous. I sat fiddling with my fingers trying not to cry. I know Jack had seen me cry before but I wanted to be strong.

Jack's POV

I knew that Hetty was scared to go back to Bignor but I would be there for her through it all. I put my hand on her shoulder to comfort her and pulled her into my chest.

Hetty POV

Jack pulled me into his chest and it was so hard to hold back the tears. 'you know it's okay to cry Hetty. I know you miss Ida but I am here for you now.' Jack said to me, and with that I let the tears fall while Jack held me. When we got to the next stop the doors to our compartment opened up and a family came in just like when I first came to live here.' Hetty? ' I heard a voice say. I looked up confused. 'Hetty. It's me Maisie.' it was the Greenwood family. They had grown so much. Little Flora was no longer a baby but a toddler. They must be going for their yearly holiday. 'Maisie! How are you?' I asked running over to hug her and her sister. 'we are great Hetty. How is your mother? Are you going to visit her?' Maisie asked innocently. This made Jack look worried. He also looked slightly confused at first until he realised who they were. 'Oh Maisie. Ida died about a week after you left for home. This is Jack my husband. We are coming to spend a week in Bignor to see Ida's grave.' I explained. 'Oh Hetty I'm so sorry. I didn't know.' she said sadly. 'It's okay Maisie. I'm fine now. Anyway how's about we all take Jack down to the sea before we go our separate ways. Oh and we have to take him to see the curiosities. You know I worked there after you left.' I rambled. 'yes! That sounds amazing!' Maisie said. 'Hetty! You worked in the curiosities. You should've never had to show yourself like that. You should've told us we would've helped' Mr Greenwood said 'I know sir, Im used to making it on my own. I've lived my life as a charity case and I just wanted to do something for myself' I explain as he nodded understandably. When I had been with them a few summers ago I explained all about my past to them. 'Now Maisie, your not going to get lost again are you?' I laughed as she blushed.