Silence of the Night

Warning: description of birth

Yn's POV

Because I couldn't go to work, and I was bored sitting around the house, I decided to go visit Will and Natalie on their lunch break at Chicago Med. "How's staying at home been" Will asked me. "The worst. I miss work. Every day when Adam comes home, I make him tell me everything that happened at work" I say. "That's why I don't date cops. You guys are addicted to your work" Natalie said. "Man, look at the time. It's time to get back to work already" Will said. "Right. Before you go though, can you call Adam for me" I ask Natalie. "Why" Nat asked me. "My water just broke all over your floor" I say and gesture to the puddle that had gathered around my shoes.

As soon as Natalie had me situated in a hospital gown, she went outside to call Adam. "I called Adam, and he said he's going to stop at the house real quick before he heads over" Nat said. "Okay" I say. "Is Adam excited to be a father" Natalie asked me. "Yeah. He talks to the baby at night sometimes saying that he wishes they would be come sooner" I say. "Looks like his wish is coming true" Natalie said.

A few minutes later, Natalie came back into the room. "All right Yn, I'm just going to check your cervix" Natalie said and slipped on some gloves. She positioned my heels against the back of my legs and began checking how dilated I was. Just as she finished and let me get back into my previous position, Adam entered the room. "Hey Yn" Adam said and kissed my forehead, his hand automatically gravitating towards mine. "How are you feeling?" "Fine at the moment" I say. "Why didn't you tell me you were having contractions this morning" Adam asked me. "Because I thought they were Braxton Hicks" I say.

"All right, well, you're 2 centimeters dilated, which means we've got a long way to go. Now, I've just got to ask you a few questions about how you want the delivery to go. Were you planning on getting an epidural or any type of medication to manage pain" Natalie asked me. "No. I'm going to tough it out" I say. "The natural route? Okay then. What about when the baby is born? Do you want to hold them right after the delivery, or do you want them cleaned off first" Natalie asked. "Cleaned off. I don't want any slimy stuff on me" I say. "Okay. I'm going to check on some other patients, but press the red button on the remote if you need anything" Natalie said and left the room.

"Can you believe that we're going to be parents soon" Adam asked as he pulled a chair up to my bed and sat down. "I know. It's crazy" I say and lace my fingers with his. "I love you" Adam said and kissed my knuckle. I smiled. "I love you too."

About four hours later, my contractions were getting way stronger. "Another contraction" Adam asked as I gripped his hand tightly. I nodded and took a deep breath as Adam rubbed his other hand up and down my arm. "This hurts way more than getting shot" I mumble as the contraction continued. Adam laughed softly. "That's why women get epidurals babe."

"Hey Yn. I came to see how you were doing" Natalie said and entered the room. "Not good" I say. "I'm just going to see how far you've dilated" Nat said. I was hoping Natalie would say that I was at least 8 centimeters so that the pain would be gone soon. However, she didn't give me the answer I was hoping for. "You're at 4 centimeters" she said. "Only 4" I ask. "First time moms are usually in labor for at least 12 hours" Natalie said. "These are going to be the longest 12 hours of my life" I say.

That night, I had a hard time sleeping. My contractions were getting closer together and more intense, making it hard to sleep for a long time. By 7 in the morning, I didn't want to be in bed anymore, so Adam got me on my feet, and we stood there with our arms around each other. I had my arms wrapped around Adam's waist, and he was rubbing his hands up and down my back.

"Want me to call your mom? I'm sure she'd love to be here" Adam said. "No. I just want you here. You're the only person I need to get through this" I say. "Whatever you want beautiful" Adam said and placed his chin on top of my head. At around 8 o'clock, I was 8 centimeters dilated, and the pain from the contractions started making me sick. I threw up into the cup for the fourth time, the vile taste of the vomit making me cringe. "You're such a trooper" Adam said and put his hand on my knee. "I can't wait for this baby to come already" I say. "Me too. I'm pretty sure we have different reasons for that though" Adam said and laughed. "If you were in this position, you'd be the same way" I say.