Episode 49

What?

Zane stood up and looked around him. A desolate landscape appeared, and cracks scorched the earth.

Everything is gone. Everything is dead. Zane looked up to see an unending darkness surrounding him.

No, no please. Zane asked. If you do this, I'll be gone forever. Zane closed his eyes, begging for his nightmare to end, and he opened them.

Zane walked around a void-like room. A comforting pitch black enclosed him, but Zane looked back at a small light.

Fire crackled like a firefly, and Zane laughed at the warmth. Traces of darkness flashed in it, and Zane knew who it symbolized.

Azne. He feared. Zane looked around him, and saw nothing else.

What are you doing? Zane questioned. The flames rippled in response.

Zane took a step backwards, but the darkness he had previously saw appeared. Frightened, Zane walked towards the heat.

The darkness broke through the void, and hurried closer and closer to Zane.

You can't run anymore. Zane told himself, reflecting on Garmadon's words.

I'm so afraid. Zane chuckled wildly. He waved his arms up.

"I'm afraid of you." He pointed to the flames. "And especially you." Zane said to the approaching black.

"I'm scared. I'm afraid they're going to hate me forever. Who wants to see him? Or, as Garmadon quotes it, me? Who wants to see their friend changed into a monster like this?" Zane chuckled. He gave a sad smile.

"Who am I kidding." Zane said quietly. Both sides halted at his statement.

"From the time I merged the scroll, I never was purely free from him." Zane admitted. A cool breeze flew over him, and Zane saw the landscape returning.

"Him? No, me. I was never free from my thoughts. The twisted emotions I had, the anger and rage I felt. It was always there." Zane confessed.

"I've been suppressing it for so long, I forgot who was who. Who was the real one, who was the monster. It was never a monster." Flower petals bloomed before him.

"It was only me." Zane stepped into a fresh grassland, and crossed his legs down.

"I am Zane, Master of Ice." He stated calmly. A cold wind rustled beside him, but Zane looked up at the blue sky.

"I was made to protect those who cannot protect themselves." Zane smiled sweetly.

"I vow to keep that promise. But something inside me has chipped away how I process. Think. Every side of me is filled with a blood lust I can't control anymore. In fact, I'm sure the smile I have right now would frighten anyone." Zane leaned on the grass, looking up to see the clouds. He smirked.

"I want to save everyone. To fulfill what you think of me. But I can't do it anymore." Zane picked a flower, and froze it to death.

"I can only show you who I really am." Zane said. "And I do hope it's enough." Zane closed his eyes, and released himself back into reality.

Zane jolted awake, the room he stayed in dark. He held out his hand, and smiled.

Finally. No more pain. Zane murmured. A tear drop slid beside him, and Zane laughed.

Whatever identity I use, whoever I try to be. I'm always going to be me. I'm Zane. I'm Azne. No, I'm just me.

Zane walked off the bed and took out his Yulta card. He pulled up Kenya's coordinates, and went to the computer.

"Please don't tell me they've already captured them." Zane asked. He looked up at the GPS pinpoints for P.I.X.A.L., and sighed in relief when he saw the two far apart.

"You're still trying?" Garmadon said, sliding into the room.

"I'm not giving up on my friends." Zane replied.

"Which friends?" Garmadon replied. Zane uploaded the signal into himself and ran towards the door. He paused at the door.

"All of them." Zane said, his white eyes boring into Garmadon.

"I'm coming along with you." Garmadon answered. "Not out of interest, but for another reason." Zane nodded hesitantly, and the two ran to the garage.

"I might have forgot to mention that everyone took a vehicle." Garmadon remarked. Zane scowled.

"I guess I do have to finish you off later. Why are there so many problems?" Zane chided. Zane slammed the button to the garage, and a cliff side hit their view.

"Unless you have a death wish, I don't think it's wise to jump off." Garmadon said.

"And risk me not finishing you off? Oh please. I have a different solution in mind." Zane looked forth and brought out his dragon. The roar it created echoed throughout the monastery.

"I'm looking forwards to that fight."

"Same goes for me." Zane jumped forth onto his dragon, and gave Garmadon a hand.

"Hang on!" The dragon burst forwards, and Zane summoned reigns for it. The sun started to break across the horizon.

"Faster." Zane ordered. The dragon zoomed forth, and Zane used air currents to push it forwards.

"You have a weapon on you?" Zane asked. Garmadon grinned.

"When do I not?" Garmadon said. Zane's eyes flashed silver, and he brought forth the same weapon he had used in the tournament.

"I see them." Zane spoke. He lunged the chains to the left, and the dragon spiraled to the bottom of the forest floor.

"I think they spotted her too." Garmadon said. He slid off the dragon, and Zane released it in a shower of ice. Zane followed Garmadon's gaze, and saw the ninja fighting Kenya.

"It gets worse." Zane murmured. He pointed to his left and saw Juliet, Trystan and Gavin quickly approaching them.

"I have no interest in this fight, however amusing it will be to see you resolve it. I only come for one thing." Garmadon announced suddenly.

"What?" Zane asked. Garmadon looked at Kenya.

"I want to see how well they fight." Garmadon admitted. "But I'll wait for you to finish your trivial manners."

"Trivial?" Zane repeated, glaring into Garmadon. Garmadon shrugged, and Zane pulled a blade on him.

"If you think it's so trivial, I might have to deal with you first." Zane answered him, smirking.

"Forgot I say a word." Garmadon replied. Zane turned his attention to the fight, and the ninja now faced off against four Yulta members.

"How am I going to stop this?" Zane muttered. "I've got buffoons on both sides fighting each other. The buffoons from Yulta would definitely stop fighting, but how am I going to deal with the ninja? Lloyd is going to murder me, Jay won't speak for weeks, Kai'll burst into anger, Nya might pass out from shock, and Cole will scream at me. And oh gosh, I don't even want to think of her." Zane leaned against a tree.

"What about asking my brother first?" Garmadon asked. Zane face palmed.

"Sensei Wu will most likely blame himself, and he'll drown himself in his sorrows." Zane said. "Especially since I accidentally told him off that everything was his fault." Zane added.

Zane heard a shout, and he glanced backwards in alarm. Juliet hovered over P.I.X.A.L. holding a dagger over her system. Nya tried running over to her assistance, but Gavin took her and threw her into a tree.

"Dang it. I didn't want this to happen, but oh well!" Juliet crowed.

"No time for remorse, huh?" Garmadon said. Zane glared at him, and readied his own weapon. Zane stepped out from the bushes an prevented Juliet's dagger from hitting P.I.X.A.L.'s power source. Juliet looked up at the newcomer, and P.I.X.A.L. chuckled in relief.

"Zane."