Hate and Mercy - Day Three Part Two

Alfie scowls as Pablo appears beside him, an upset look on his face. Alfie ignores him, and picks up his pace, striding in the direction of the centre area. It was where they were already heading, they were out of water, and the lake was the only place to get water now that they were out of purification tablets.

"I'm sorry!" Pablo shouts as he once again catches up with Alfie, "I didn't realize what you went through,"

Alfie doesn't reply, he just keeps staring ahead, trying to stare through the fog that lays around them. He could have sworn it was clearer on day one. He hears Pablo groan in frustration from behind him, but the smaller boy doesn't give up, continuing to walk with Alfie, not saying anything else. For once, Alfie likes Pablo's silence, for the past few days he has been trying to figure out what made Pablo so dark, but he regrets it. He regrets becoming ally's with him, he wished the boy had just let him fall off the climbing wall. The two walk in silence for what feels like hours to Alfie, although he is sure it hasn't been nearly that long. He wonders how Carter is doing, are the careers still together? Usually the careers stay together until the final Eight, but the past couple of years they've broken up earlier, so there's the possibility that one of them is roaming nearby. So far, they hadn't seen another tribute, which was kind of a relief to Alfie, the reason he didn't join the careers was because he hated the sight of blood, ever since the night when he watched his father killed his mother. To this day his father didn't know that he had seen the incident, well, he did now, but it was highly unlikely Alfie with make it out of the arena to see this. Alfie must have been walking in a daze, because suddenly he felt a force hit him in the side, and he tumbled over into the dust, dirt and ash flying into his eyes.

"What the fuck!" Alfie shouts as he sits up and see's Pablo standing over him.

"Oh, am I the only selfish one? I just saved you from dying right here and now!" Pablo snaps and Alfie scowls.

"How did you save my life?" Alfie snaps as he stands up, glaring at Pablo the whole time.

"Can you not see the massive tar pit in front of you?" Pablo growls, and Alfie glances to his left to see the dark tar bubbling beside him.

"You think this makes us even?" Alfie shouts, and Pablo scowls.

"Maybe not, but I thought saying sorry and saving your life would be enough for you to at least accept my apology," He snaps, and Alfie shakes his head.

"You were wrong," He says, and with that, Aflie turns and begins to make his way around the pit. This time, Pablo doesn't follow him. He just watches him go. From now on, Alfie is on his own.

"What are you doing?" Byron questions as he spots Maya zipping up a small green backpack, "Betraying the career pack already?"

"Nope," She says, standing up, "And if I was, I wouldn't be the first to do so,"

Byron feels nervous as she brushes past him and heads out the mouth of the cornucopia. She doesn't know that he killed Athur, does she? He glances at Maddylin, who has fallen asleep with a piece of bread in her head, the bitch has almost eaten all of the careers food supplies. Right now, Carter and Jase were around the back of the cornucopia, Jase was attending to Carter's wounds. Apparently she had found the boy from eight, Phoenix, in the forest earlier, but he threw a knife into her thigh, stopping her from chasing after him. Byron walks out of the cornucopia just in time to see Maya dive into the lake without a sound, and glances around to see if anybody was watching. He should tell Carter and Jase, but if Maya did know about what he did, she would tell them if he betrayed her. Byron scowls at the thought, the girl was black mailing him without even saying anything. He glances back to her swimming figure, and is surprised to see that she is already half way to the shore, she was swimming in the direction of the forest they had been in earlier. Byron glances behind him once more, before diving in after her, making a quiet splash as he does so, and he begins to swim after Maya. He knew he was a faster swimmer than her, and it was a good thing too, he has to keep up with her, and catch up before she makes it to the forest. He manages to catch up to her quite quickly, and he's only few metres behind her when she reaches the shore. As Byron reaches the shore, Maya sprints off into the forest, and Byron scowls as he races after her, trying not to make any sound as he did so. She began to weave through the trees, heading towards the clearing he found Carter limping into earlier. He begins to slow down as she enters the clearing, and then he crouches behind a tree as she glances around her, making sure nobody is watching, before she walks over to a bush at the edge of the clearing. He see's her mouth moving, and quickly relizes she was talking, but too who? He needs a closer look. As he slowly begins to circle around to the bush, he sees her unsling the backpack and drop it infront of her, and then crouches down so that Byron can't see her. Finally he reaches a spot where he can see behind the bush, but all he can see is Maya's back, and sighs in frustration, he has to wait. After about twenty minutes of crouching behind a bush, Maya finally stands up, revealling the injured body of Anna behind her. The bitch was helping her. Anna's arm was bandaged up, and the left side of her body was badly bruised, he watches as Maya says goodbye, and heads back into the clearing. Byron scowls and runs after her, not caring about how much sound he is making. Maya spins around as he approaches her, and scowls as she see's him.