Chapter 7

Camila sat by her window, staring at the night sky. She could feel the cool breeze against her face. She took in a deep breath and felt the cool air fill her lungs. She heard the door open and saw her father walk in with a plate of food.

"Hi mija," Alejandro said.

"I'm not hungry, papi," Camila said.

Her father let out a chuckle, "You're always hungry, mija," he said.

Camila turned and looked at him.

"Don't worry. I made dinner today," he said as he set the plate on her desk.

"Your friends, Lauren and Dinah, came by," he said.

"I know."

"They seem really nice."

"They are," Camila said, "Which is why I'm confused and angry that mami grounded me," she added.

"Mija, your mother is just worried about you. She loves you very much."

"Yeah, she has a funny way of showing it."

"Give it time. She'll come around."

"What if she doesn't?"

Alejandro leaned in and gave his daughter a kiss on the top of her head.

"Goodnight, mija."

"Night, papi."

The next day, when Camila woke up, she almost fell off the bed when she saw familiar green eyes staring into hers in such close proximity.

"Lauren? What are you doing here? My mom-"

"She's out and your father let me in," Lauren said as she crossed her legs and sat in front of Camila.

"You're gonna get us into trouble," Camila said, "Me especially," she added.

"I know," Lauren said as her smile faded. Camila noticed that she had been absentmindedly playing with Camila's fingers. Camila felt her hand tingle at her touch.

"I just... I needed to see you," Lauren said shyly. A smile appeared on Camila's lips. Lauren was looking down at their hands and Camila took the opportunity to study her features. Her hair was curled but she kept it in place with a large beanie. She wore a black tank top and red flannel button down over it with blue faded and ripped jeans and black worn out converse. When Lauren looked up and met her gaze, Camila felt her smile drop as her breath hitched.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked.

Camila didn't say anything. She couldn't. She felt something caught in her throat as she looked into those green eyes that she adored so much. She knew that what she was doing was wrong but she couldn't help it. Lauren was so incredibly beautiful.

"Camila?"

Camila blinked as she was brought back to reality. She looked at Lauren who had a worried look on her face.

"I'm fine. Just... Thinking."

"About what?"

"Stuff," Camila said with a shrug.

"Stuff? Seriously? You're that kind of person?"

"And what kind would that be?" Camila asked.

"You know... The kind of person that gives very vague answers."

"I'm not that kind of person," Camila retorted.

"Really?"

"Yeah."