Kabanata 60

Zai slowly opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling of the room. She can hear the sound of the waves and the breeze outside. Tumingin siya sa kaniyang gilid noong makarinig ng mga maliliit na ingay. Claysen is no longer in his bed but she saw Shane's back as he is cleaning up some mess and some medical equipments. Maingat at organisado nitong inilalagay ang mga medisina at iba pang mga kagamitan sa isang lamesa. Zai noticed how much Shane got attached to Ero. Asking him about some things about medicines.

"You want to be a doctor?" she asked out of the blue. Shane flinched and he looked at his back. He saw Zai already awake and staring at him.

Shane awkwardly nodded and looked back at the medical tools. "Y-Yeah, a pharmacologist actually. I always wanted to create a medicine that can cure many kinds of diseases and use it to heal those who's suffering."

Tumaas naman ang gilid ng labi ni Zai, "Is that it? Just a limited number? Why don't you cure all of it?"

Tila ba nagulat si Shane sa sinabi nito. He awkwardly chuckled, "N-No, it's too much for me. I can't possibly make something like that."

Zai's usual expression came back, "There's no limits in every human's desires, Shane. Do not restrain yourself."

Natahimik naman si Shane sa sinabi nito. Nagtagal ang katahimikan sa pagitan nila at ang tanging naririnig lamang ay ang mahinang pagtunog ng pagtama ng mga mababasaging garapon sa lamesa. Shane then talked after five minutes of silence, "I heard that you created a medicine like that. Back in the academy. But you eventually stopped its production. Why?"

Muling ibinalik ng dalaga ang kaniyang paningin sa kisame. Sandali itong tumahimik. Shane thought she wouldn't answer his question but she talked. "Humans are greedy, Shane. That is reasonable because every single being has a limited time to live their life, they want to obtain everything they want before Death knocks on their doors. Unfortunately, I have no rights to give them extensions. I cannot delay Death's visitations."

Shane slowly put the last small jar after hearing what she said. Shane's expression became serious, "You say that but why did you gave him an extension?"

Zai closed her eyes, "Because it wasn't his time yet."

"He had nothing to do with you."

"I would do that even for you, Shane. The boy is still a child, he still hasn't lived a life."

Shane pursed his lips and his hand on the table clenched, "Zai, about what happened back in Northernium. I want to ap--"

"I'm not interested."

Shane faced her, "But Zai! Gustong gusto ko talagang--"

Natigilin siya noong makitang pinapalapit siya sa ng dalaga. He walked to her bed and sat down on the chair beside it. Zai lifted her hand and put it on his head. Shane slightly pursed his lips. Zai stared at him with her usual emotionless face. "Save the apologies, Shane. I don't need it nor I want it." Zai looked at his eyes, "I want to give you something."

Shane is still wearing an expression like he's really eager to apologize but he sighed when he saw Zai's usual expression. He nodded, "Okay.."

Zai looked back at the ceiling and what she said next was not expected. Never was. "I'll give you all of my money."

Shane's eyes widen, "What?"

--

"Oh Lin! Ang tagal mong nawala ah!" shout one man from the top of the huge and pointy rock boulder in the middle of the sea. May tila ba isang maliit na guardhouse malapit sa tuktok nito at doon ay nakasilip ang isang guwardiya.