CHAPTER ONE :THE BOSS

"Ireti! Ireti!" A faint voice called, I couldn't tell if it was a real voice or the voices in my head.

"Ireti! Ireti" The voice called again but this time the voice sounded familiar, it was my mother's voice.

I gasped jerking up, sweating profusely. My mother pulled me in her arms "it's just a dream, it's just a dream" she said repeatedly.

The nightmares had made their comeback again after not having them in 6 months but since the previous week they have been visiting on a daily basis.

"Do you want me to sleep beside you tonight" My mother asked.

I glanced at the clock beside my bed, it was 2am in the morning.
"No mummy, don't worry. I'm fine"

"Are you sure? We heard you screaming and when we came in to check on you, you were sweating and rolling on your bed restlessly" My father said concerned.

"I'm fine daddy, just one of those nightmares. It's 2am in the morning, you both should go to bed"

"Are you sure omo mi" (my child) my mother asked again, worried.

"Yes mummy I am" I let out a small smile.

"Okay then" My father replied pulling up my mother who was unwilling to leave my side.

"Mummy, I'm fine" I reassured her once more before she left with my father.

I couldn't sleep anymore, I was scared the nightmare will reappear. I picked my phone and browsed through social media, twitter specifically. Soon I was laughing at different memes. Nigerians are crazy funny set of people.

The light that emanated from the sun passed through my window, hitting my eyes causing me to squint a little before opening them. When I opened them my mother was at my window, shuffling the curtains.

"Mummy, Ekaro" (Good morning) I greeted.
"Kaaro my dear, Ba wo ni" (how are you)
"I'm fine"
" Are you not going to work today "
" Oh my God! Work!, Mummy what's the time?"
" it's 9am o"
" 9am!! Mummy why didn't you wake me up?" I jerked up running to the bathroom to freshen up.
"Ahh I wanted you to sleep a bit since you didn't sleep well last night. I thought you were going to call in sick today "

I was so preoccupied with twitter, trying not to go back to sleep, I didn't even know when I fell asleep. I rushed out, threw on a a blue floral design button up top and a black suit trouser with nude flat shoes and my black shoulder length wig to cover the disgrace that was my cornrows. Picked my bag, phone car keys and ran out.

"Ekaro daddy" I greeted hurriedly.
"Kaaro my dear, I thought you were going to call in sick today"
" I can't daddy, I've a presentation today, bye daddy "
"Ah ahn Ireti won't you take breakfast!" my mother yelled from the kitchen.
"No mummy! I'll eat at work" I yelled back rushing out of the house to my blue corolla car which use to be my father's car but since he got a new car two years ago, I had been the one using it.

Through out my ride to work from Gwarinpa to Wuse zone 2 (Abuja, Nigeria). I thought of different scenarios of how my boss would enjoy humiliating me. The eternal drive to my office finally ended, I worked with an advertising agency whose pay was really good.

You can do this Ireti, just tell him you had family issues, or better still avoid him the whole day 

I got down and walked the stairs to my office that was slightly close to my Boss's office. I tiptoed pass his office, heaving a breath and releasing it when I got to the entrance of my office that I shared with three other people.

"Miss Alabi" the familiar voice of my boss called.
I immediately stopped in my tracks.
"Oh no" I muttered.
"Miss Alabi" he called the second time.
"Sir" I squeaked, turning around slowly. He was wearing that stern look, the look that comes before the storm.

This is my first book, well technically my first published book, I took a big break from wattpad but the lockdown drove me here 😂. Pls tap the little star button below and drop your comments.