Chapter 8

The new students have arrived.

For one thing, Tanah was the one to know this earlier than anyone else. Due to his status as a school prefect, he was summoned to the principal's office, where he met two other teens his age.

They sat on the chairs across the principal's table, their eyes sliding to him as he opened the door. They were both in uniform that looked more expensive than Tanah's entire closet combined: black leather jackets, white-collared shirts and black jeans. Their school crest was sewn onto their left chest.

"This is our school's model student," the principal introduced him, beckoning him to come forward.

Tanah obeyed stiffly. He stood between the two students, yet their eyes were still on the principal.

"These are the temporary exchange students from Celestium Academy," the principal said. "You're tasked to accompany them in their time in Rintis High."

Tanah nodded. The name of the school caught him by surprise.

Celestium Academy? One of the world's most prestigious, richest schools? What were they doing here?

"Noted." Tanah felt his body tense up. "I won't disappoint you."

The principal nodded at him, satisfied by his response. He waved the students out, the two elite students following outside.

When the door closed behind him, one of the students held out his hand, a bright smile on his face, in contrast to his partner's stoic expression. "Nice to meet you! I'm Daun, and that's Cahaya. Hope we'll get along our time here!"

Tanah blinked, taken aback. He'd expected a more serious conversation from the students from such a school.

Awkwardly, he took his hand, surprised by the callousness of Daun's palm. It wasn't the hand of a spoiled, pampered child, despite his capability of residing in one of the most expensive schools.

"Same here," Tanah agreed. "I'm Tanah. We're still having classes, but do you want a tour first?"

"Sure!" Daun said. He turned to Cahaya, pulling at his arm. "What about you?"

Cahaya, who was crossing his arms, shrugged in response to his friend. "I'm fine with either," he admitted, turning to Tanah. "Can you show us the achievement room?"

"Achievement room?" Tanah quizzed.

Cahaya pursed his lip, frowning. "Never mind."

He looked hostile, like he was disturbed by the school's atmosphere itself.

"It's alright! Tanah, show us your favourite part of the school," Daun interrupted, compensating for Cahaya's unfriendly demeanour. "I'd rather get to know you better, first."

"My favourite part? Uh, sure."

He led them to the gymnasium, where it was one of the largest parts in their school. Though, the wooden ground was worn, broken plans of wood sloppily covered by paper tape and glue. The ceiling was falling apart, revealing the hanging wires and hidden panels. The markings on the floor were barely visible, and many of the audience seats had suspicious stains etched on them.

Not to mention the ghastly odour. Years of sweat, vomit, and possibly urine haven't been ventilated properly. It could be overwhelming for ones that aren't used to it.

Behind him, Cahaya paled, covering his nose and mouth in disgust. "Did this even pass inspection?" he demanded, fanning the air in front of him.

"Inspection?"

Cahaya left the space before they went in further. "Forget it."

Daun, on the other hand, wasn't as rude as Cahaya, but rather forcing a carefree conversation. Though, his face was turning green.

"What do you do here?" Daun said, sweating in his jacket.

"Are you okay?" Tanah frowned, confused by his sudden discomfort.

Daun shrugged. "It's nothing!" he promised. "Maybe just a little warm in my uniform!"

A hand grabbed his elbow, and dragged him away from the source of the fumes. Cahaya pulled him outside, until they were safely away from the noxious air.

Tanah followed them, struggling to keep up. Finally, they stopped in front of the cafeteria, where it was exposed with two stalls selling discount food.

"Is anything wrong?" Tanah asked.

Cahaya glared at him. "Is your sense of smell non-existent?" he snapped. "That place is a health hazard! Any longer and someone would have passed out! Not to mention the condition of a place where you're supposed to be running and jumping!"

"Cahaya!" Daun interrupted him, grabbing his shoulders. "That's too straightforward! It's not like Tanah has the power to change it! Taking it out on him won't change anything."

The two glared at each other, what little friendly atmosphere they had was completely destroyed. Instead, a sense of hubris and unsatisfactory replaced them, like a high-standard health inspector criticizing a roadside restaurant.

After what seemed like hours, Cahaya finally tore his glare away, and sighed in irritation.

"Fine," he vamped, as if spitting poison. He turned to Tanah. "I apologize for my poor choice of words."

Tanah held his hands up, alarmed, as if he was really the one to blame for their anger. "No! Don't. It's fine. No offense taken."

Though, despite they were of the same grade, Tanah couldn't help but feel that, no matter how he saw them, they were in a world of their own, like royalty patrolling a peasant household.

They were in their own league, one that Tanah had worked so hard for.

Yet he still failed, the chance never his to take.