Chapter 19

When Tanah got to his class, he saw Daun sitting in his seat stacking erasers into a tower, but Cahaya's seat was vacant, and his stuff was gone.

"Where's Cahaya?" he asked, sliding to his seat.

Daun didn't turn. He was busy accomplishing all the world records for the highest stack of stationery. "I dunno. Saw him this morning and the next second, he's gone. Probably skipped school or something."

"Skip school?" It was something that Tanah never dreamed of doing. While he'd sent repeat offenders to the principal's office, he himself never considered to do such a horrendous crime. "Can he?"

"Just kidding," Daun said, but there was no humour in his voice. "He's probably doing something else. He may not seem to care, but he's never skipped a class in his entire life unless he's in another competition."

He didn't elaborate further.

"But you know..." Daun continued, putting another eraser on the pile. Where he gets so much stationery, Tanah will never know. "I think Cahaya just found the answer he's been looking for."

Tanah fell silent.

Somehow, a wretched sense crept into his mind.

Was he nothing more than a side character in Petir's book?

For the next few days, they rarely saw Cahaya. Tanah would be at the school gate with his duties, and he would see Cahaya or Petir earlier than him, standing by the gate as they waited for the other. Sometimes, it was Petir and sometimes it was Cahaya.

They would carry short conversations with Tanah, but when the other comes, they would go into the school and pretended as if Tanah never existed.

Daun, on the other hand, didn't say much of anything. He said hello to Tanah, and went to class. He didn't talk to anyone, only exchanging words with Tanah when he was the first to make conversation.

Occasionally, Tanah would pass by Petir's class, and he would catch glimpses at the exchange student and Petir. They would be deeply invested in whatever they were doing. Reading, playing chess (Petir can play chess?), arm wrestling (for some reason) or even just talking.

Once, Tanah listened to what they were talking about, and was lost instantly. They talked more than the girls he met, and the topics they carried seemed like outer space. Chemistry, Physics, or even Psychology; it was something he should be familiar with, but their level was beyond any of that.

Petir was a completely different person.

Tanah never saw Petir smile, which he tried to make him to do so. But Cahaya managed it with just a simple word.

Why did he want to make Petir smile, anyway?

Petir was just another student in hundreds. Why was he so attracted to one?

"You're out of practice. You couldn't even hit me even if you wanted to."

Tanah whipped to the window outside class. It was Cahaya and Petir, walking side by side as they argued with each other.

"I still have the power of fifty medals in my drawer stating otherwise," Petir snarked.

They were smiling, but there were veins on their necks as if they were refraining from punching the other.

"Past is past. What matters now is the present."

So you really have a death wish-"

That's when Tanah saw it.

Their hands.

They were holding hands. They were so close that their shoulders were touching.

Tanah turned away. He didn't know why it hurt when he saw it.

He looked up, only to see Daun's listless gaze falling out the window, staring at their silhouettes.

Guess I'm not the only one feeling this way.

He just hoped that Daun won't be akumatized.