Chapter 15

Before the attack happened, Air had decided for a nap. The orphanage's beds were never soft for anyone to sleep, but he would grab himself some minutes of sleep before his older brother returned from school.

The room was the size of a classroom, but not enough for thirty children to sleep. There were only twelve beds, so some would have to sleep on the floor. Though, the older children agreed to take turns so the younger ones would not have to suffer from sore backs. So every night they would snatch towels from the musty cabinet, and use it as a pillow or blanket.

Air was one of those young children. Sometimes, when he was awake, he would ask Api to sleep with him. But when he woke up, Api was always on the floor again, letting him have all the bed.

And sometimes, almost every time, Air would be mad at him for it.

When school was over, Air would come back to his room. He would do his homework with the light from the window and ask some older kids whenever he couldn't figure out his maths and numbers. Then he would wait, wait until it was time for Api to return. It was the favourite time of his life.

But today, he didn't come back. Instead, the ground quaked and the building shook, then the roar of a monster burst in the air.

He climbed on his bed, the springs whining as he tip-toed to the window. He saw smoke in the air, and monster that looked like a dragon, hot, glowing magma running under its black scaly skin.

Like any fairy tale, the monster spit fire. Except this time, this was no fairy tale.

For some reason, he felt attracted to it. The bright, soulless eyes intrigued him, and the figure in general... it reminded him of-

Air caught a gasp in his breath.

Api?

Big brother's akumatized?

Of all of the villains he'd heard from his friends, he'd never seen a villain so powerful, so huge and threatening.

His brother was a villain! A bad guy!

The children in the room screamed and ran for the nursemaids, but Air remained, staring at the dragon. He didn't know what told him that this was his brother, but his instinct told him so.

"Are you Air?"

Air screamed, nearly falling off the bed. He turned around in shock, falling onto his behind as the bed shook.

There was a figure, standing in the room. He wore dark grey and white, and a pale-yellow cloak that covered most his clothes and face.

"Athena?" Air spluttered, getting off the bed. "What are you doing here?"

The hero held out a box. "Your brother is out there. He's a victim of an amok," he said. He sounded like a teenager, not some mystical god that everyone talks about him to be. "I need your help. I entrust to you the Miraculous of the Dolphin. Do not reveal your identity to anyone. Do you accept?"

Air was at a loss for words.

"What?" He wasn't sure he heard him correctly. Him, a child who could barely understand his maths homework. "Why me?"

The hero grinned. "I have my reasons." He walked closer to Air, his slender figure towering over him. With gloved hands, he held Air's hand in one, and placed the box in another. "Your brother needs your help. You're the only one that can help him."

He closed Air's fingers around the black, round box.

Air couldn't see his eyes, but he knew he was looking at his hands, waiting for a reaction.

"How did you know that he's my brother?"

This time, Athena smiled. "Because I'm Athena, that's why."

And he turned to the exit and left.

Air didn't go after him. Instead, he stared at the smooth surface of the box, as if it contained a bomb. With shaky fingers, he pried it open like a music box.

On white cushions, sat a silver necklace. It had a charm shaped like a violin, almost too delicate for something that would make someone a hero.

He would trust Athena's words. If his brother was out there, he would help him. Api's helped him all his life, and it's his turn to bring him back.

After he put the necklace on, the charm glowed and a new life was created, hovering in front of him.

"Hello," said the floating thing, almost like a miniature plush with an oversized head. "My name is Ais. I am your kwami. It's splendid to meet you."

"Hi," Air greeted. "A kwami?"

"Yes!" Ais twittered, her voice reedy and light, almost like a real dolphin's. "With me, you can transform into a hero! All you have to say is 'Ais, Rising Tide!'"

Air nodded, though there was some suspicion to it.

"Ais! Rising Tide!"