Chapter Eight: Leaving home

Mama's POV.

I had just returned from the police station to file a complaint about a missing person to which they said I had to wait twenty four hours to declare her missing, and immediately I came back home. Shafa told me she still wasn't home.

Ya Allah. I just told her I would be in my room; if anything happens, she should call me. As I stepped foot into my room, I received a call from an unknown number.

I picked it up immediately, thinking it was some with some sort of information concerning Bibi's whereabouts, or maybe it was Bibi; perhaps her phone died and she borrowed someone's phone to call me, I thought, but as soon as the person said "salam," I immediately recognised the voice I could recognize that voice anywhere.

The voice I hated more and more over the years. It was Bibi's father.

I removed the phone from my ear to disconnect the call, but he spoke up, "I know I have so right to contact you after all these years and you have a valid reason to say mad at me for, but please just listen to what I have to say."He said, "Please, Ahmed, I don't have your time. I have to look for my daughter, the one you never cared about," I retorted.

The next thing he said had me in shock. "Your daughter is here with me," and with that, he hung up. This man just hung up like that; I don't even know the address. I put on my veil and ran out of my room. I told Shafa I would tell her the full story when I returned.

I called the driver and then called Bibi to send the address, which she sent immediately. By the time I lay my eyes on Bibi today she is done for.

Bibi's POV.
Ibteey's house.

Mama just pulled up and is waiting for me outside. I'm so scared. She came in, I think, because she got tired of waiting. I started to explain, but her hand landed on my left cheek. She slapped me. Something she had promised never to do ever since I was little.

I couldn't talk anymore. I just looked back at Ibteey and Ya Yasmin with glossy eyes before exiting the house. I was in so much pain that I felt like ripping my heart from its rightful place. It hurts. It really hurts.

As I sat in the car waiting for Mama, I made a final decision. I was leaving the house. If Mama won't allow me to see my siblings, I will just leave the house for her. The ride back home was silent. No one dared to talk; the silence was so thick and uncomfortable.

Immediately after we got home, I got out of the car and left for my room, not bothering to answer Aunty Shafa's questions. I locked my door, packed my clothes, and got an apartment ready before I went to sleep.

The next morning

I heard as Mama's car drove out of the house with Aunty Shafa. I made sure all the maids had gone back to their quarters before I carefully made my way downstairs with my bags. I picked up my car keys from the centre table in Mama's sitting room and left the house.

The fact that she didn't give me a chance to explain myself. All i have ever wanted is for me to meet my siblings and she knows that. I might have gone about it the wrong way but she should have at least listened to what I had to say before jumping to conclusions.

A Month Later.

I noticed someone had been following me for the past week, but I kept dismissing the thought. After my evening jog, I came back home, took a bath, and made myself a cup of coffee. While I was watching something on TV, someone suddenly knocked on my door.

No one except Ibteey and my landlord knew I lived down here, and if it were Ibteey, she would have called me before she decided to come. Who could it be? I thought. I said my prayers, carried an abandoned baseball bat, and moved towards the door.

Immediately I opened the door and saw who it was shouted, "You, why did you follow me here? Of all people it just had to be this person.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited.