CHAPTER 4: Meghan

The service was really nice and beautiful with some sarcasm spoken from people who were asked to say something before the Reverend had finished up-Aunt Gale I know would have loved it.

When we came back to the house, I right away began helping get the food ready and everything else before serving some food to several people.

It was a good thing that she had a big mansion because I'm not sure everyone would have been able to fit inside here otherwise.

There were array of emotions everywhere ranging from grief and sorrow as well as laughter and some smiles while some were reminiscing back on good times they all had with Aunt Gale.

Since we came back, it seems like Hudson was right away busy with everyone of course talking to him about his Aunt and most likely trying to catch up with him.

It was good to see him. It was especially good to hear that he had planned to catch up with me while he stayed here for a while until he figured out what he wanted to do, at least until after tomorrow's reading of his aunt's WILL.

The weirdest part about tomorrow was the fact that yesterday, her lawyer had stopped by and told me that he requested for me to be in the room when he read the WILL. I didn't know why I needed to be there but he told me that Aunt Gale requested it.

Everybody seemed to leave a little bit at a time until it was getting close to eight at night and then the last of the people finally had all left while I finished cleaning up.

I didn't have too much to clean up in general, since I was cleaning throughout the get-together but still.

While washing the rest of the dishes and then drying my hands, I turn around and see Hudson standing by the edge of the kitchen counter a few feet from me.

"Hey." He says.

"Hi." I reply. "You want anything to drink or eat?" I offer.

"No thanks." He tells me and sits down on one of the barstools against the counter while I stand on the other side across from him.

"How ya feelin'?" I ask.

"Okay I guess." He shrugs. "I mean, I don't even know anymore. I've been jet-lagged all day and on top of that, been having to deal with family members and these damn emotions with the realization of my Aunt no longer being here."

My heart dropped when hearing him say that because I knew how much he loved her and could tell that he was feeling guilty for not being here when she was sick but there was nothing he would have been able to do anyways. 

"I know it's got to be hard." I try and comfort him while leaning over the counter a bit and placing my hand on top of his while gently rubbing my thumb on top of his hand.

He looks down at my hand and and then up at me and starts to smile a little bit while tightening his grip on my hand then as we stand there for a few moments longer, without saying anything and continuing to look into each other's eyes, I notice we both slowly start to lean forward towards one another and right when I think we are about to kiss, he stops.

"I'm sorry." He says and sits back a little.

I feel a little bit hurt. Yet at the same time, I guess it's for the best. Besides, I am sure I'm not his type still and not to mention the fact maybe we shouldn't make things complicated here.

"Yeah, uhm, well, it's getting late. So, I guess I will see you tomorrow?" I mention trying to hide the embarrassment from the rejection.

"Yeah. Sounds good." He says while standing up.

I then grab my purse and coat and we start walking towards the door then I turn around and we say 'goodnight' to each other before I head towards my car and start making my way back to my house.

Today, despite the situation, again, it felt nice to see him again and be near him. Hopefully soon we can get together and catch up. I hadn't realized just HOW much I had missed him until after today.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)