Chapter Thirty-Five

The sounds and commotion that was usually quite common in a police station were faded. They were distant. All Todoroki could feel was the distinct vibrations coming from the cat in his lap and the tornado of thoughts and feelings swirling chaotically through his mind. He had to get them under control. Now was not the time to be emotionally vulnerable. 

There was never a time to be emotionally vulnerable. 

But he couldn't keep the thoughts away. He didn't know how to feel. How he was supposed to react. He certainly wasn't sad that Endeavor was gone, but he was his father. No matter how abusive or manipulative he was, he still meant something to Todoroki. Connections to people can be complicated, Dear Reader, and Todoroki's emotions regarding his father can definitely be categorized as complicated. 

So very complicated.

Todoroki wasn't sad that Endeavor was gone, but he wasn't happy either. What was going to happen to him now? What was going to happen to his mother? Why did Izuku do this?

Why did Izuku betray him?

Now that was another complicated mess of emotions. Izuku. Beautiful and bright Izuku. Lying and murderous Izuku. Sad and scared Izuku. Todoroki didn't know which version was the real him. 

"Shoto Todoroki?"

The distressed teen looked up to see a police officer standing in front of him. The man was eyeing Soba warily. "Come with me, please."

Todoroki nodded and stood up, cradling the cat in his arms. Almost as though he was daring them to kick her out. It was best to put away his feelings for now. 

Or forever. That would work too.

"Breaking News, dormant villain Deku has re-announced himself back to crime by-"

"The number one hero Endeavor was found in his home earlier this week-"

"The death of the number one hero coincidentally coincides with his sons seventeenth birthday-"

"Deku is back in business, witnesses say after sightings of a black-haired boy similar to the teen villain roaming the streets covered in blood-"

"The question we believe everyone is asking now is this: what are the villains planning and will Japan be able to stay safe?"

Todoroki goes back to school the next day. UA made sure to contact him to let him know that if he needed a few days off, the Todoroki was more than welcome to be absent but, it wasn't neccesary. Todoroki knew his education was important, these years were vital to his education. Not to mention the exams that were steadily approaching. 

No, Todoroki wasn't going to take a day off from school. He was fine.

He was fine.

Uraraka and Iida immediately confront him when they see him in homeroom.

"Todoroki, you were expected to be absent for at least a few days. There is no need for you to be here, your fellow classmates will assist with taking notes for you when necessary," Iida scolded as he vigorously chopped his hands in sharp up and down motions.

Uraraka, on the other hand, was more blunt about the whole situation, which Todoroki found himself appreciating. "What happened? We've all seen the news, and most of them don't even want to ask but, Izuku was our friend and- Todoroki, what did he do?"

Todoroki didn't want to tell them. He really didn't. They could say something to one of the pro-heroes and Izuku could be in even more danger. Despite himself, Todoroki still wanted to protect his friend. But Uraraka and Iida were close to Izuku. Surely they wouldn't do anything to hurt him? They took his absence hard. Even after hearing about all of the crimes he committed and the people he hurt, Todoroki always had this inkling that all they wanted was for Izuku to be safe.