Chapter Thirty-Seven

Before you read, this chapter contains graphic depictions of violence, gore, and character death. Please don't read this if any of these topics upset you.

Please remember this story has a happy ending.

One more thing, this chapter is not beta read. Please let me know if you spot any mistakes.

••••••••••••••••••••

Preparations were in full swing. Every which way Izuku looked, there were people bustling about doing this or that at the last minute. There were people whispering excitedly to each other in the dark hallways. Some were practice sparring, and others were practicing their most deadly moves. A few were just sitting and waiting. They were the creepiest. A few had approached Izuku smiling, excited to make conversation with the villain who was tasked with bringing down the entirety of the hero society. It was quite the honor. 

Izuku was being talked at by at least the fiftieth low-tier villain who was definitely in need of a bath (Probably due to the fact that society had failed them and when they fell upon hard times economically they were forced to take on villainous jobs to make ends meet and couldn't afford to buy soap.) when he was approached by the shadowy man that still did not have a name. 

Should I give him a name to make reading about him easier? Hmm… how about Steve? Let's go with Steve.

Anyways, Midoriya was approached by the villainous Steve and the villain trying to talk with Izuku miraculously made himself scarce.

No, I'm sorry, I can't do it. We'll keep describing him as the shadowy man, Dear Reader. Steve is too good of a name for this villain.

The man spoke in a low tone - a far cry from the pleased tone he usually adopted when Izuku catered to his every whim. 
"Don't disappoint me, boy. If you fail, there will be consequences. This benefits you just as much as it does me. I expect you to perform exceptionally today."

Izuku looked the man in the eyes (or wherever he was sure the eyes should be) and smirked. "When do I not, boss?"

••••••••••••••••••••

In the meeting room at UA, the entire school administration as well as the top thirty heroes in Japan (excluding Endeavor, of course) sat muttering with concerned voices. 

"I'm just saying the timing is a little convenient-"

"What are the chances that there is some kind of secret base of villains that we had no idea existed? I'm not convinced."

"Did you hear about the newest Deku sighting?"

"Apparently he was seen at the most recent bank robbery downtown."

"He stole almost everything in the bank, what does he need all that money for?"

"I just can't believe- he's just a kid."

"Yeah, a kid that also happens to be the biggest threat to our nation's security."

"Still, don't you think-"

The door opened and everyone went silent. 

Principal Nezu marched into the room, his calm smile that almost always decorated his face was still perfectly in place. He reached the head of the table where everyone sat and silently began to organize the file of folders. The aura of tension in the room was palpable, but the mouse (bear?) principal paid it no mind.