Chapter 11- A Guard Dog and Cat

Sebastian POV

"Now that definitely looks like a demon dog attack."

Alexandra turned to the young master and I with a grimace as the townspeople around us talked amongst each other in hushed whispers.

After we ran to check on Mey Rin, we saw that Lord Barrymore had been broken out of his prison cell. Alexandra suddenly took off running and we followed her all the way to where they had chained up the young master and servants up earlier.

The spot had been reduced to nothing but rubble after I angered her but nonetheless in the center of the rummage was the broken and lifeless body of Lord Barrymore.

We stayed on the outskirts of the townspeople as they started to chant and pray on their knees. I gently pushed against the demoness as she looked unnerved when their chanting turned into the song from earlier. I knew the lullaby was meant to be about Alexandra as queen with her being the bad black dog and her brother being the good dog. It was meant to smear her name as queen and typically sung by the party that favored her brother as ruler.

"So there really is a demon hound?" The young master asked, eyeing me as Alexandra didn't pull away from my touch.

She shrugged. "Looks like it, technically it would be a demon dog. A hell hound is something else entirely. Whatever is here, is a demon dog."

The young master looked frustrated. I fought back the urge to chuckle as he was already so sure that the case was solved and we would be going back home.

"Oh, and before you tell me to go running after it, the dog is gone." We both looked at Alexandra who looked into the distance. "I don't know how, but it disappeared. I sensed it at the manor and all the way over here, but now it's gone."

"Wonderful." The young master's eyebrow twitched. "Alexandra go with the other three servants and take Angela back to the manor."

The demoness rolled her eyes but nonetheless walked over to where the servants were caring for Angela. I waited for the young master to say something but instead he watched the group walk back. As soon as they reached halfway towards the manor, he looked at me.

"You and the she-demon seem to be on good standing." He sniffed, approaching the body.

I nodded. "I believe we've worked it all out."

We paused to look at Lord Barrymore and I knelt to observe him. I had seen a body mauled by a demon dog only once in my life and Alexandra was correct. It definitely looked a lot more like this body than the others.

The young master sighed. "Does that mean you'll go back to chasing after her while she's completely oblivious? As annoying as you two were when you hated each other, I did not miss you acting like a lovesick puppy."

"Those 'feelings' that are claimed I had for Alexandra were nothing more than misread friendship." I observed where the arm had been torn off the body. "We are simply acquaintances  working towards a common goal."

"And what would that goal be?"

"The completion of this contract."

We finished examining the body and walked back to the manor. I expected to find the servants already in bed but they were waiting for us in the dining room. Alexandra looked half asleep and still had my overcoat around her.

"So, any new discoveries?" She yawned, "Or can I go to bed?"

"How can you sleep after a sight like that?" Bard asked, shivering.

Alexandra shrugged as Mey Rin spoke, "Maybe the demon dog is mad at Lord Barrymore for all his crimes!"

"Whatever it is we will carry on in the morning." The young master nodded as I spoke. "The rest of you, go to bed and get a restful night."