But it turns out [33]

I skipped happily next to Rangiku. I was wearing a white round neck sweater that was tucked into a maroon folded micro-skirt that matched my glasses. I thought it was cute. Even Rangiku thought it looked cute. 

Though, the skirt length would make my mum go into a frenzy of a sort.

Rangiku was looking into her phone or Soul Pager as they call it. She looked like she was texting. The phone beeped loudly and she was suddenly on guard. "It's nearby," she informed as she started running. I ran right behind her. We stopped at a playground. I peeked from behind her.

Nothing. There was nothing. Rangiku sighed, "Someone must have got it," she turned around facing me. She placed a hand on my shoulder, "Let's go." As I was about to turn around, I saw a silhouette in the distance. It was quick and it was crawling. It looked like something from a horror movie.

The thing had deep red skin, its head was twisted to the side. Its hollow hole was on its back. Certainly looking like a demon of the sort. My gun snapped into shape as I quickly shot it. Rangiku turned around, seeing the Hollow dissolved into dust particles. The busty blond turned back to me, looking surprised.

"Ned, is that...a gun?" Her eyes went to the gun in my hand. Her mouth opened slightly, "Where did you get it?" She asked, fiddling with the gun that was still in my hand. "Kisuke-San gave it to me," I answered, fanning the gun to make sure it cools down before turning it back into a bracelet.

I once snapped it back into shape right after shooting. That damn shop-keeper forgot to warn me about it and now I had a burn on my wrist.

"For free?" She sounded confused and surprised. I paused for a second, realising he did gave it for free. Not only that, but I also freeloaded at his place a few times. And I didn't even bother paying him back in any form. "Yeah... well, I haven't given him payment yet," I muttered.

"He never asked you to help around the shop?" She questioned.

"He doesn't..." I looked away from her for a while, "But he did chase me around with his Zanpakuto during training sometimes."

"Oh," she laughed sweetly, "I think that was a form of payment." Rangiku's Soul Pager started beeping endlessly. She took it out of her pocket. Her eyes widened and she ate a Soul Candy. Her Gigai stood by the side. Her hand on her Zanpakuto, she looked over to me, "Can you fight?"

"I can shoot and float. If that counts," I answered. Rangiku smiled a little on my answer but her lips quickly became a frown when an ear-piercing screech was heard. It gave me goosebumps. I covered my ears, unable to handle the noise unfiltered. It sounded scraping a fork against a plate.

The ground shook and rumbling was heard. Followed by a distressed shriek of a girl. The girl looked my age. She had brown hair tied into a ponytail and round glasses. There was a chain on her chest, though it looked like it was disconnected. "Help me! Please!" She cried out.

"Ned, grab the girl. I'll handle the Hollow," Rangiku took out her Zanpakuto. I squatted down, placing both of my hands on the ground, my knee on my chest and the other leg behind me. I looked up, keeping my eyes on the girl. I boosted myself forward, my feet leaving the ground. I lunged myself to her. We went rolling to the side, out of danger.

I went on my knees, looking over to the Hollow. The girl clings herself onto me by wrapping her arms around me. The bracelet transformed itself into a gun. I blew a few holes onto the Hollow. Mostly on its four legs. It screeched awfully louder than before. Rangiku jumped high right in front of the orange monster and slashed it into two.

The Hollow started to disappear. I looked over to the soul which was clinging onto me. She was shaking in fear, her eyes watered. I gave her a closed eye smile, "It's okay, you're safe now." I got onto my feet, bringing her along. I went over to Rangiku, who was sliding the Zanpakuto back into the carrier.

The girl stood in front of Rangiku, "Th-Thank you..." she said, shyly looking down to the floor. Rangiku placed a hand on her shoulder, "Glad you're safe. I'll perform a Konso on you, okay?" Rangiku took out her Zanpakuto. The girl nodded, "What does that do?" She asked. "I'm guiding you to Soul Society," Rangiku answered.

"What's Soul Society?" The girl asked.

"Soul Society is a safe place for people like you. Ready to go?"

"A safe place...?" The girl smiled softly, "I'm ready."

Rangiku tapped the hilt of her Zanpakuto on the girl's forehead. She lifted it up, an emblem shone brightly. The girl sank into the ground in a pool of blue light. A black butterfly with purple wings and black outline appeared, flying away.

I looked over to Rangiku, "That was beautiful," I said, my voice soft and hushed. She slides her Zanpakuto back into the carrier, "Its what Shinigami's do." I watched the butterfly fly until it was out of sight, "That's a Jigokucho if you were wondering," Rangiku muttered.

"Shinigami's used them for travel and communications, right?" I said, "Abarai-Kun explained it to me." I looked over to the gun in my hand. I twisted the flower and it was a bracelet again. I turned to Rangiku, "Are we going anywhere next?"

She went back to her Gigai. She took out her Soul Pager, "There is somewhere," she took my hand, "Looks like he agreed to come." I raised my brows, "Who?" She looked over to me and smiled, "Its a surprise," she spoke in a sing-song. She held my hand as we walked. We arrived at Tsubakidai Park, the park where I and Uryu had sandwiches.

"So, what are we gonna do here?" I turned to Rangiku. "Remember you were asked out on a date?" She suddenly bought it up. I blushed, how could I forget? "Yeah... what about it?"

Rangiku smiled, "You should look in front of you."