5

"So.", Ellie asked while sitting in the police station, sipping tea. Her eyes were still swollen red from crying after she had told Dannys mother the truth. Not even her, her whole family was shocked. Beth had done a lot of crying, buried into the comforting arms of her husband Mark. Danny would be given to the forensics on the same day to investigate the body on further injuries. Something that could lead them to the killer. The beach was closed and in a few days, the press would show up to write their stupid articles. When it came to things like these, they were the first poking their nose on the interesting stuff. 

Whatever, the DS was done for today. She didn't like bad stuff. She hated corpses. She was too sensitive, it burdened her. That's why she needed other things to do right now. For example: Getting to know her boss better. 

"So.", Ellie repeated, waking the DI from his little nap. She took another sip of tea, leaning back in the chair. 

"Where are you from? Like I said, I've never seen you before!"

Alec flinched, rubbing his neck. He had expected anything, but definitely NOT this again. He didn't even know how to tell her. Everyone around him was suspicious, she was the last one to think of. So, why her? He couldn't tell anybody, not even her. It was too dangerous. 

But, he had to tell. Not the truth, but...making something up to avoid further questions. 

He couldn't even remember where he had been before Broadchurch. 

The DI swallowed hard, then answered: 

"Uhm...it's nothing really interesting. My parents died, so I came here to forget. I often have nightmares, but I can deal with it. So maybe...maybe...I chose the right place! What brings you here?"

That was all. He wouldn't say more. Not to anybody else in the world. It was for the better. 

Ellie immediately opened her mouth, didn't waste time with explaining. She told him about her husband Joe and their son Tom who had been Dannys best friend. And of course, their little baby boy Fred. The Millers lived in Broadchurch for as long as they could remember, seeming to know everybody crossing their way. She was two years older than Alec and just like him, her whole life consisted of work. She had taken the job when being finished with school, altough she was very breakable when it came to murder cases like Dannys. But she knew that she couldn't quit as long as she was here. 

That was her whole story. 

For a while, silence fell between them. Her brown eyes, resting on Alecs deep blue eyes. Something was growing inside him. Something good, something warm. 

Something friendly. 

He had known nobody for almost six years. He had been alone. Left behind, lost. 

Cursed. 

Had he finally found a friend? 

Barely noticing it, a smile crossed his face. 

"I guess, we are colleagues then!", he said, still having this look.

 It hurted. It felt weird. But it was still better than being feared. 

The DS returned smiling, wiping the tears out of her face. She chuckled: 

"Yeah. Think so!"