Chapter Thirty-Three

I had no idea what reading a poem about Scott's mother could have to do with me. However, I was certainly not going to say no. "I would love to read the poem." I smiled at Scott now. I could see Scott take a breath, as he thumbed through his notebook to locate the poem. Moments later Scott hands me his notebook. "You do not want to read it to me?" I asked Scott.
"You are the only person that has ever seen what I have written, except for those I used for assignments in school. This is the first personal poem I have ever shared. I am nervous enough without reading it out loud." Scott admits this, and he goes on to say, "I just really think the poem... well just read."
I wanted to ask why, but I was nervous to find out the answer. So I turned to the notebook without saying a word.

Shattered by Scott Eady
I see your pain
I know it is there
Though you try to be strong for me
You play like you do not care
You close off your heart
Because it is no longer there
Not as it used to be
It is shattered
You are shattered
You do not speak of the one
That did this to you
But I have heard the rumors
And the look in your sad eyes
Is all the proof
I know it is true
You only told your mum
She was sure to tell me
She meant to cause pain
Even though we are family
But she hurts too
Because someone damaged what is hers
Her daughter so pure
Robbed of a choice
And still she chose
To keep a reminder
Now it is I who lives with this
But my pain is not my own
I weep for you mum
Together we feel alone
Together we are broken to the bone
Shattered.

     I let the words sink in, dancing all around.  Little pricks tingled all over my body and my stomach felt like an empty pit.  What does this mean?  I think I know, yet I cannot find the words.  I cannot handle this.  I do not want to know any hurt that is in this guy's life, because I do not want to think of him being hurt.  I certainly do not want him to know about me. My dark secrets that I do not even whisper to myself.
     I shove the notebook into Scott's lap hard and fast, and am on my feet, all in the same motion.  I run back to the cabin and am halfway there before I hear Scott call to me.  "Katrina come back, let me explain please."
     He says something else, but I do not hear it.  I am up the steps and in my room in minutes.  I do not bother to change out of my black stretch pants and grey t-shirt.  The one highlight about not really caring what I wear and trying to impress anyone?  I am at least always comfortable, or at least my clothes are.  I sink down into my bed.  Even though it earns me demerits, that is exactly where I stay for the next two days straight.