Chapter Thirty-Five

As I made my way back to my cabin, I felt more defeated than ever. I felt like I was constantly taking one step forward and three steps back. Punched and kicked down on a constant basis. I stopped at the bench where Scott and I always sat, missing my friend. I had no one. I had only made two friends after being here for two weeks and I had managed to push one away, and now the other has left without so much as a goodbye. I know I had just dipped out on Jazzie with no contact for a few days now.  Would Scott not have told Jazzie what happened? Perhaps she was not able to contact me. Did something happen to Jazzie?  Had I just missed the signs because I was so dam wrapped up in my own drama? I know for a fact she did not tell me she was leaving any time soon. But then we never talked about any of that stuff. I did not even know why she was here, or what she has been through.  Could I even call myself her friend?  Some friend I was, I thought to myself.  A real friend would be concerned, would have asked more about what she had been through.  What did I even know about this girl?
"I am such a shitty friend." I bent my head down and covered my face with both hands, as tears threatened my eyes.  I squeezed them closed tight.
"I would not say you were a shitty friend.  You have just been through a lot of shit" I did not need to pry my eyes open to know who said that. Scott's voice covered me like a warm blanket, and yet it gave me chills all at the same time. Suddenly, I opened my eyes. I needed to start facing things... and people. Scott stood in front of me, hesitation clear on his face, his shoulders tensed and body rigid, only two feet away from mine.
"I do not think I have ever heard you curse before." One tear escaped my eye, but a small smile crept over my lips as I looked up at Scott. I stood up, and I saw the sadness creep over Scott's face. He must have thought I was going to take off again. But I smiled up at him. "Follow me," I asked, my voice soft.  Scott nodded his head and gestured his hand, indicating me to lead the way.  I did just that, and Scott followed.  Even though I did not watch him follow, I could feel the heat of his body, as he kept close to me. The scent of him danced in the air around me, and I tried to ignore it. I needed a clear head for what was to come next.