Chapter 19: Into WICKED

NEWT'S POV
I don't like the way that Gally is watching Rhea. Of course, with looks like hers, she's bound to attract attention. I always expected it, and I'm not jealous because of it. But it does just feel uncomfortable and unbelievably annoying.

Vince isn't going to follow us to WICKED, but apparently Gally-who is alive-will be our driver. I honestly don't know whose brilliant idea that was, given how tense everything is right now.

Gally brings us to wait at a corner where he claims that the girls would meet us at. They've already gone to steal the car from the WICKED Guards, with some help from the Right Arm to take away the bodies. Not that they'd kill them, of course.

"That Rhea girl," Gally breaks the silence as we stand, waiting. Minho and I both stand between Gally and Thomas, not wanting to take the risk that Thomas might lunge and hit Gally at a wrong word. The last thing we need is to draw attention from onlookers.

I stiffen as Minho says, "What about her?"

"What did Vince mean when he said that she meant business?" Gally asks.

I smirk a little and say, "He means that she can kick the klunk out of you if she wanted to."

Gally nods approvingly. "So she's shucking good looking and she knows how to fight. Sweet."

I wonder if maybe Minho will have to hold me back from punching him.

Before I can do anything rash, though, a van swerves up to us. A car that bears the WICKED symbol.

"Hop in," Rhea says getting out of the driver's seat and heading to the seat behind the passenger seat.

Quill is sitting at shotgun, but I don't mind because I get the seat beside Rhea. I slide in beside her, and Minho gets in on my other side. Thomas sits at the back with Lizzie and Harriet.

"Helmets up, guys," Gally says.

We all take our helmets and put them on, shielding our faces.

Gally starts the van off in the direction of WICKED, and Rhea takes my hand in hers, interlacing her fingers with mine.

"So," Gally says, glancing back at us from the rear view mirror. "Are you three the only ones?"

"Fry's alive, too," Minho says.

"Where is he? And where've you all been the past two weeks?" Gally asks.

"Regrouping," I say. "And Fry's safe."

Gally nods, going silent again.

The ride is quiet, and when we reach the entrance to WICKED, I tense, hoping that things go smoothly.

Rhea seems absolutely calm, though I can't see her face. She's released my hand, instead placing hers on her knees, all of us mimicking the behaviour of the WICKED guards as we sit there waiting.

"Security check," someone calls out, tapping on the window.

Gally rolls our windows down and we all remain still as the guard's eyes scan over all of us.

"Clear!" The guard yells, moving back to allow us to pass. A collective breath is quietly let out as Gally draws the windows up and brings the van into WICKED.

Rhea quietly gives Gally directions to where to go, and finally he parks the van in the carpark, beside a door that would lead us straight into WICKED.

She pulls off her helmet the moment that the car has stopped. We all follow suit.

"Everyone ready?" She asks.

"Ready as we'll ever be," Quill says.

Minho, Rhea, Thomas and Quill take off their helmets and get rid of their WICKED disguises that they wore over our clothes. After dumping everything in the van, we get out and for a moment just look at one another.

Rhea points to Minho and Quill. "When you're done, run. Get the hell away from here. If you can, clear the outer perimeter. Make sure no one is near enough to get smashed."

Minho nods, and Quill exhales slowly.

Rhea turns to me, Sonya and Harriet. "Stick to the plan. If we're still in that building, you are not allowed to come back in."

That's the part I'm really anxious about. "Rhea-" I try to say, but she shakes her head at me.

"Promise me. All of you," she says, meeting my eyes especially.

I clench my jaw. I know that no matter what, I would run back into that building. I'd go in and I'd try to get her out. Or I'd die trying.

Sonya and Harriet both promise, and when Rhea turns to me, I shake my head.

"No bloody way," I tell her.

Rhea sighs, turning to Minho. "Can you stick with him? Make sure he doesn't get into the building."

Minho frowns deeply, but he nods.

"Rhea," I say desperately, and a little angrily, because she shouldn't have to sacrifice her life for everyone all the time. I know my anger is irrational, but I just can't lose Rhea. Not after everything.

She suddenly brings a hand to my neck and kisses me, right there in front of everyone. I don't care. I bring my arm around her waist, not wanting her to go into that building where she and Tommy stand the highest risk of not making it out.

This can't be a goodbye kiss, though. I won't allow it to be.

Rhea pulls away and gives me a small smile. "We'll be fine."

I exhale a shuddering breath, not exactly knowing what I should say to that. She's lying to me and to herself. "Get out of there," I tell her.

Rhea nods, "I'll try."

Reluctantly, I let her go, and she moves to Tommy. I catch a glance of Gally's surprised face, and I hear Minho snickering.

"Well," Minho says, right before we all go off to do what we have to, "be careful, don't die."

Rhea smirks, looking down at her watch. "It's four. Let's go."

Without another word, she and Thomas leave, heading into a stairwell nearby.

Minho gives me one last look, then he and Quill take off across the carpark to get downstairs.

"Come on," I mutter, and the rest of us walk straight into WICKED.