S3 Episode 6: From Fumble Beginnings

S3 EPISODE 6: FROM FUMBLE BEGINNINGS

It's 6:45 in the morning. September. 2010. Rusty is waiting in his driveway, checking his watch. He takes his phone out and calls Alex.

Rusty: You said you were five minutes away, like twelve minutes ago... Why?... I told you I didn't wanna smoke a blunt before class... because I wanna talk to that girl and I get too nervous when I'm high... all right, cool.

Alex's orange Subaru Legacy station wagon turns down Rusty's street. Music is blaring from his car. He rolls down the windows as he pulls up, singing along.

Alex: Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?

Rusty: So gay.

Alex: I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now.

Rusty: I hate this fucking song.

Alex: What? You told me you loved this song.

Rusty: I liked it at first. It's just too over played. The radio plays it every other song.

Alex: Because it's a modern day classic.

Rusty: Bullshit. I guarantee, ten years from now, no one will remember this thing ever existed.

Alex: You change your mind all the time.

Rusty: Like a girl changes clothes? Now, that's a song that will live on forever.

Alex: So who is this new girl again? The reason we can't smoke a blunt.

Rusty: She sits next to me in Creative Writing.

Alex: Have you talked to her?

Rusty: Yeah, we sit right next to each other, and we've had to partner up everyday of the week so far.

Alex: Does she like you?

Rusty: I don't know, she's really nice to me. And she's hot which is an odd combination.

Alex: Because you lost all that weight. Hot girls are gonna be nice to you now.

Rusty: Well, she thinks I'm funny. She laughs at my jokes. But I'm not sure. I guess I've never had anyone like me before. I don't know how to tell.

Alex: Does this mean you're not in love with Jessica anymore? Are you done talking about her every five minutes?

Rusty: I don't know, man. Jessica doesn't even like me. She treats me like a little brother. But, like a little brother she doesn't like.

Alex: It's just another crush. You've been talking about Jessica for the past year, and now it's this new girl. A year from now, when you're a senior, slaying pussy, you're not gonna care anymore about this chick either.

Rusty: Maybe. How does it feel to finally be a senior?

Alex: I don't know, man. It's only been a week.

They stop behind the line of cars waiting to get through the back gate of the student parking lot. Alex turns up the radio so everyone can hear them playing "Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner. As they drive in, the parking lot is flooded with kids. Rednecks in the back, showing off their diesel trucks, leaving them running to see whose is the loudest. The hot girls hang out near their SUVs that their parents bought them. Kids are playing basketball with their own ball that they carry with them all day. A fight breaks out by the portables. Alex stops the car to watch. Everyone crowds around until the assistant principals quickly break it up. Alex parks in his spot, behind a car the has "C/O 2011" painted on the back window. They gather their things and start making their way to class. Rusty sees Shelly and Amber standing by Amber's blue Chevy Cobalt. Amanda is not there.