CHAPTER 25

Mom is sitting on the couch as we walk inside. She stands up seeing us.

"Oh my god! Essie is that you?" mom literally exclaims as we walk towards the living room.

"Yes aunt, it's me" Scarlette replies smiling.

"You look beautiful" mom says smiling.

"Thank you aunt" Scarlette says returning her smile.

"You haven't changed a bit in these 8 years" she says looking at mom.

"Oh! thank you Essie" mom says giving out a hearty laugh.

"Where is uncle?" Scarlette asks looking around.

"Aiden!" mom calls.

"Yes, what is it Cassy?" dad asks walking out of their bedroom, when he notices Scarlette.

"Essie, is that you?" he asks walking towards us.

"Hello uncle" Scarlette says standing up and smiling.

"Oh my god! look at you" he says laughing.

"You have not changed a bit in these 8 years, uncle. I was saying the same thing to aunt" she says smiling.

"When I see you kids turning into young man and woman, I feel like I am aging every second" he says smiling.

"Isn't it, Cassy dear?" he asks looking at mom.

"Not at all. I am still young but you are growing old Aiden" she replies laughing and we all join her.

"Sweetie, why don't you take Essie upstairs? your dad and I'll prepare some snacks today" mom says looking at me.

"Sure mom" I say and lead the way upstairs followed by Scarlette.

I open my room's door and we walk inside. I have vacated one side of my wardrobe for Scarlette.

"Essie, you can keep your clothes in my wardrobe" I tell her.

"Thank you, Chari" she says smiling and starts unpacking her suitcase. Meanwhile, I sit down at the table and start working. I am really happy to share my room with her. We have so much to say to each other. 

"Chari" she calls out.

"Yes" I say looking around.

She walks towards the table and gives me two packages. 

"A small gift for you" she says smiling.

"Oh! thank you Essie" I say taking the packages and placing it on the table. I then turn around and pull her into a tight hug.

"I have something for you as well" I say and walk towards my wardrobe.

I have been collecting small things for Scarlette since past 8 years. I would always buy her a birthday gift but I never send it to her. I had kept them to give it to her when I meet her. I believe today is the right moment. I pull out the huge package and close the wardrobe's door.

When I turn around, Scarlette is looking curiously at me. I walk towards her and give her the package. 

"What is this?" she asks taking the package. 

"Surprise" is all I say.

Her excitement grows as she opens the package. There are so many small things in there. She sits down on the chair and doesn't say anything for a while. Finally, she looks up at me and her beautiful honey-colored eyes are filled with tears. She stands up and pulls me into a tight hug.

"I hadn't realized that you have been buying me gifts all these years" she says releasing me.

"Well, I thought of giving it to you when I meet you and today is that day" I say wiping her tears.

"Shall we go downstairs?" I ask her.

"Sure" she says and we walk out of my room and head downstairs.