ten

We arrived at the Chateau, and JJ parked the car. I grabbed my keys from him before getting out of the car and picking up my bags. As I walked around the car, I saw Maddie's car.

"Is she here right now?" I asked, pointing to the car.

"Yes, she's inside," he said.

"So, you tricked me into coming here to talk to her?" I said, raising my voice.

"No, everything I said was true. I only brought you back here now instead of later because I knew she wouldn't leave until I found you," he said, taking one of my bags from me.

"Whatever," I scoffed, walking to the door.

As I walked in, I completely ignored Maddie and dropped my bags near the couch. She walked over to me, and I quickly moved away from her, entering the kitchen.

"Sierra, stop being so childish. Talk to me," she pleaded.

"There's nothing to talk about," I said, grabbing a water from the fridge.

"There's so much to talk about, for example, the fact that you need to come home and stop running away," she said, walking towards me again.

"I'm not coming home with you. That place is not my home anymore, so you can leave and tell my fake parents not to expect me back. I'm done," I said, walking to the couch.

I glanced out the window and saw JJ sitting on the porch with his head in his hands. I hadn't really asked him how long I could stay here. My living situation wasn't solidified at all, but Maddie didn't need to know that.

"What are you talking about? You're just going to be homeless?" Maddie asked.

"No, I'm living here now, with my family," I said.

"Sierra, we are your family. The pogues aren't even talking to you," she said.

"I'm sorry, but that's not my family. I love you, Maddie. You and Bray will always hold a special place in my heart, but that is not my family unit," I said.

"There's more to family than blood, Sierra. Just because Mom and Dad aren't your birth parents doesn't mean they aren't your parents. They raised you! We grew up together!" she said.

"You're right, there is more to family than blood. Family is people you can trust no matter what. It's people who wouldn't lie to you. It's people who wouldn't force you to ruin your life because they put their interests first. I'm done with this argument. Please just go," I said, sighing.

"So, I'm just supposed to tell them you're not coming back? What about all your things? What about me and Brayden? You're just gonna cut us all out of your life because Mom and Dad made a mistake 16 years ago?" she asked.

"That's exactly what you're going to tell them," I said, "And I'm not cutting you and Bray out, but I can't be part of the Milford family anymore."

I saw tears start to fall from her eyes, making guilt rise up in my body. I stood up and hugged her, tightly.

"Mads, I love you, but I just can't go back. You have to understand where I'm coming from," I whispered.

"I do. I'm sorry, Sie. I love you too," she said, letting go of me.

"I'll see you around," I said.

"Bye," she said, walking out of the house.

I sat down on the couch and put my head in my hands. Tears started flowing out of my eyes, and I couldn't stop them. I let out a gut-wrenching sob, unable to hold everything back any longer. I heard JJ walk into the house, so I tried to compose myself. He sat down next to me and rubbed my back, calming me down. Once I had composed myself, I lifted my head and looked at him.