eighteen

I pulled the phone away from my ear, checking the caller ID. My heart dropped when I saw Kie's name on the screen.

"Kie, what's wrong?" I asked.

"JJ's in the hospital," she said, "Pope and I came by the Chateau this morning to see him and we found him unconscious and covered in blood."

A sob escaped from my lips, and tears started falling from my eyes.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," I said.

"Okay, see you soon. I'll update you if anything happens," Kie said.

I hung up the phone, screaming as I tossed it on my bed. Wheezie rushed into my room as I ran around, trying to get ready to leave.

"Sierra, what's wrong?" she asked, "Why are you crying?"

"JJ's in the hospital," I said, "I don't know if he's gonna be okay. I have to go; I have to be there."

"Oh my god, what happened?" she asked.

"I don't know. Kie called me and said her and Pope found him unconscious and covered in blood at the Chateau," I said, "He hasn't woken up yet."

"I hope everything's okay," she said.

"Me too. I gotta go, but I'll let you know when I find out more information," I said.

I threw everything into the first bag I could find, and picked my keys up. Running down the steps, I had almost made it to the door before I was stopped.

"Sierra, we need to talk," Ward said, walking out of the living room.

"I'm really sorry, dad, but I have to-" I began.

"Go to the hospital to see JJ?" he asked, "Yeah, I know. We're gonna talk first."

"How do you know that he's in the hospital?" I asked, looking at his hands.

I noticed the bruises on his knuckles, and the pieces started to come together. Panic rose up in me as I realized what was happening.

"Do you really think I don't know everything that goes on in this house?" he asked, laughing.

I stared at him, not knowing what to say. My mind was running through the events from last night and this morning, trying to understand how he would've known.

"Do you know why I let Rafe move back in? Not knowing where he was would've been a liability. If he's in the house, I can monitor everything he does. Why else wouldn't I have kicked him to the streets after what he did?" he said, "I see everything that happens in this house, Sierra. I know about your little sleepover last night."

"What did you do?" I asked, anger laced in my tone, "What did you do to him?"

"I taught that boy the same lesson I should've taught John B.," he said, "Pogue boys shouldn't be hanging around with Cameron girls."

"I'm leaving," I said, walking towards the door.

He grabbed my arm, and I felt like a bruise was already forming from his grip. His eyes met mine, and I could see the fear and anger in them.

"You're not going anywhere," he said.

"You can't keep treating your kids like this," I screamed, "All Rafe ever needed was your love. All you had to do was be a little more nurturing and a little less obsessed with money and your reputation and none of this would've ever happened."

"Maybe you're right," he said, "Or maybe I gave my children all the love and attention they deserved, and they still managed to screw everything up."