twelve

"We need to talk?" I asked, shifting in my seat.

"It's nothing bad, princess, I didn't mean to scare you," he said, putting his hand on my arm.

"Oh, okay. Good. What do we need to talk about?" I asked.

"Last night, our fight. We never talked about it when you got home. I stand by what I said: I don't like you being friends with Topper," he said.

"I understand that J, but it's my choice. Do you not trust me?" I asked.

"I know it's your choice. I do trust you princess. You're too good for me, and I'm just scared that one day you're going to wake up and realize it," he said, looking down, "You deserve a guy who can treat you like Topper would."

"J, why would you say that? I am not too good for you. You're everything I want and more," I said, walking over to him.

"I just don't get why you would wanna slum it with someone like me. I don't exactly have the best record or a bright future ahead of me," he said.

"I love you. I don't care if you go to college and get a fancy job. All I care about is that I'm happy, surrounded by the people I love who are also happy," I said, playing with his hair as I sat in his lap.

"As long as I have you and the pogues, I'll be happy," he said, kissing me.

I pulled away and climbed out of his lap, making my way to the bedroom. I grabbed a book from my bag and walked back out, sitting on the couch. Reading my book, I sat and waited for JJ to finish getting ready for Kie and Pope to come over.

Today, we were supposed to hear back from the guy on whether or not he knew anything about getting into contact with John B and Sarah. The anxiety was high, as we didn't know what we were going to do without a lead on how to get in contact with them.

If we were to find them, they wouldn't be able to come back until we cleared John B's name. Without being in contact with my parents, I didn't know what, if any, progress they had made there. I didn't want to go back to my house and have a conversation with them about it in person, and I couldn't bring it up at family dinner, so I decided to call.

After a few rings, my Dad answered his phone. I didn't speak at first, trying to collect my thoughts.

"Hey, I was just wondering if you had a status update on getting Ward's confession," I said.

"Hi, sweetie. Are you doing okay? Do you need anything? We haven't been able to talk with him about it because of everything going on, but we're hoping to get the ball rolling at family dinner this week," he said.

"Will you keep me updated on the situation, please?" I asked.

"Of course, we will. Will we see you at dinner on friday?" he asked.

"Yes. I have to go. I'll see you at family dinner. Bye," I said, hanging up the phone.

JJ walked out into the room as I hung up. He sat down next to me, laying his head in my lap. I played with his hair as he looked up at me.

"Was that your parents?" he asked, softly.

"It was my Dad. I asked him if they had made any progress in getting Ward to confess," I said.

"Have they?" he asked.

"Not yet. He said he was going to get the ball rolling at dinner on Friday," I said.

"Are you going to that?" he asked, opening his eyes.

"Yeah, I promised Maddie I would," I sighed, "I wish I could bring you."