xx- The Serious

🖤

🖤

Adolpha looked over herself in the mirror, taking in the dress that Marcus had found for her. It was pretty, long-sleeved and a deep red colour, skin-tight though the sleeves kept it modest. She was going to take Marcus' advice and try to have a serious conversation with Caius. She knew that eventually, it needed to happen. They were getting nowhere with their petty childsplay. She was unsure where the dress had come from but when she took a seat on one of the armchairs in the private library- she was glad to have it, she couldn't comfortably talk about her feelings and have him reject her while she looked a mess. The library felt like a no-mans land and she had put more effort into her appearance on that night than she ever had before. Maybe it would make him be less likely to ignore her.

"Adolpha? Marcus said-" the blond king cut off the second he rounded the corner and saw her sitting there. His ruby eyes scanned over her in a second and he rose an eyebrow before very slowly taking a seat across from her. "Well, this is unexpected."

"Just-- Shut up" she decided, cutting off his teasing before it could really begin and he frowned as he stared. The truth was that Caius had no idea what was happening and Adolpha had no idea what she was doing. Having a serious conversation with him was something she didn't realise would be an issue. But it turned out that Aro wasn't the only childish one. "I'm done."

"Done?"

"Yes. I am done. Whatever the heck this is. I'm done with it. I don't want to see you for an hour a day and have us hate each other all the while. I don't want to just joke around and call one another the rudest names we can come up with. We've-- We've hit a wall, Caius. And I'm done. If you don't want anything from me... If you can honestly say right now that you would happily never see me again-"

"Adolpha"

"-Shut up." she hissed in annoyance and continued. "If you can say right now that you want nothing to do with me then fine, say it. And I will go to Marcus tomorrow and demand that he gives me a different room. I haven't seen anyone for a month unless they have visited. I am sure I can avoid you in this castle for years if it becomes necessary. Or you can just say that you'll try. I am not asking you to break up with Athenodora or to fall in love with me. All I am asking is that when you see me, you won't make it so evident that you apparently hate me. I am just asking for you to try and see what life would be like if you did." she breathed out, her eyes closed as she clenched her hand on the arm of the chair. When she opened her eyes again, the chocolate brown orbs were filled with glittering determination.

"And what is it that you want?" he questioned sincerely though he gave nothing away in his voice as he watched her with his usual unblinking eyes.

"I've never had the choice, Caius. It was never a question to me, If-" she swallowed, knowing that what she was about to say could not be taken back. "It wasn't a question of if I wanted to be with you. The second I saw you in the forest, I knew that I needed you. I knew that you were the one that I had waited a hundred years to meet. I've been miserable waiting. Everyone told me that an imprint makes life worth it. And they were right. You have given me nothing, promised me nothing and you have already become the most important thing to me. I didn't ask for it and I want to hate you. I have wanted to hate you since I met you. But I can't" she breathed and was startled when a singular hot tear rolled down her cheek, reaching up, she saw shocked to find that she was crying and she hated herself for it as she looked down. "But, don't let that change anything. Just... Tell me the truth,"

"The truth is that I don't know what I want" he sighed, rubbing his hands over his eyes and she frowned at him. "I have been married for two thousand years. Yes, it hasn't been a happy, love-filled marriage. We have both cheated, lied and hurt one another but it has always managed to pull through. You said that you aren't asking me to leave her. But you are! Don't you see that? You won't ever be happy until I am completely yours and I won't hurt you Adolpha, I refuse to hurt you like that. I refuse to use you, even if that is what I have been pretending to do all along. I won't play you both... But... I can't leave her and the life I have with her. I am evil, Adolpha. I have told you that since the very first day. But I can't be reckless with you. You are one thing that I refuse to hurt. You asked me why I happily cheat on my wife but won't with you? And the truth is because it had nothing to do with Athenodora at all. She and I have long since created the convention of our relationship and we are happy about this. This is about you. I won't kiss you or even touch you because if I do, it will be like I am cheating on you. You are too precious to be harmed by me, Dolpha"

"So you are saying no?" she swallowed.

"For now... I am saying no. I refuse to be with you and hurt you every single day by still being with her. And until I can be with you completely... I won't be with you at all. This isn't a rejection, Adolpha." he shook his head. "I'm saying no because of how badly I want to be with you. How much I want to love you... And I can't ruin a future relationship with you now by making you empty promises that I can't keep. If I kiss you now, I can't promise you that I won't kiss her tomorrow and I refuse to hurt you. Before I am with you... I need to change who I am myself. I am a cheater, an evil cheater who doesn't care who I hurt. And you... You are beautiful and warm, you are like magic to me and I don't want to see your heart broken and know that I was the one to do it. I'm not ready for a relationship with you, Adolpha. Not yet."

"I'll talk to Aro about moving me somewhere else," she stated, voice completely hollow and face emotionless as she turned the tears off like a tap and his eyes startled her at that moment with the amount of emotion that they reflected.

"No... This is your room now. Your home. I will go" he nodded and stood, leaving before she got the chance to say anything else.