Edward X Reader || Roads Untraveled

Loosely based off Linkin Park's Roads Untraveled

WARNING: Angst

|•|

Edward was scared.

That's not something he was used to feeling, but here he was, sprinting faster than ever before, to make sure he wasn't too late. His lungs burned, not just because of exhaustion however, but out of fear as well. Simple as that: fear. He was currently plagued with it, enveloped within the harsh grasp of anxiety to the point where he only had one goal in mind; getting to you. He knew he was pushing his limits, but he had to get to you. He just had to. Before it was too late.

You were an infamous pirate. One of the few female ones out there, but you were considered just as tough as the other big names. Pillaging and plundering weren't your thing, you were more into destroying any navy ship that sailed the seven seas. Spanish, French, British, didn't matter. They were all the same to you.

As a child, you grew up with Edward, always running around together causing causing mischief. However, when you got older, the two of you had a major falling out. He joined privateering with the British, while you turned to the more questionable lifestyle of a pirate.

Your deep hatred of the navy stemmed from them murdering your parents. You were left alone, all you had was Edward. Which is why you were deeply hurt by him joining the very thing you detested. Being a girl in a world in which you're only job is to marry rich left you with little choices. One of them being piracy. That's the one you chose.

Early on in your travels, you came across a group who called themselves assassins. You learnt of their creed, their ideals and their wishes at young age. By joining them, you were able to meet Mary Read, or more commonly referred to by her alias, James Kidd. The two of you became close, even sailing together for a while before you had to part ways and captain your own ship and crews. It wasn't uncommon though for the two of you to complete missions together or be seen at the tavern simply hanging out.

In fact, she was the one who reintroduced you to Edward. He was ecstatic to see you again, alive and well, but you weren't able to harbor those same feelings, as you still held resentment and a sense of betrayal. After some time, however, that bitterness slowly began to fade away. You found out how he changed, how he ditched the legal lifestyle.

Anyone with a brain could see that the two of you were madly in love with the other. Always by each other's side when possible, the exchanges of lovelorn looks, inside jokes only you two would understand; it was just so obvious. However, despite that and the deep conversations shared, neither of you pursued to create a romantic relationship out of it. Sure, you shared some steamy nights together, but you still weren't in an actual relationship. Not to say the feelings weren't there, they were, quite strongly too in fact. It's just for some godforsaken reason, neither of you took the initiative. Something you would soon come to regret.

You were a strong pirate with a plethora of friends, so why were you in this position?

On what was supposed to be a simple mission, you became quickly outnumbered. It was obvious someone ratted you out and told them your position, so Rogers sent reinforcement. It didn't take you long to figure out who the culprit was either, it was obviously Hornigold. After you denied to comply with his plans for Nassau, he decided to take revenge.

So here you were, stood up on a wooden platform in front of the eyes of many with a noose around your neck. The soldiers captured you a few days ago, giving you time to securely place an important letter within your outfit, one you had written only a few years into your piracy, in a place they'd never think to look. Your gaze was slightly blurred due to understanding these were your final moments, with your executioner reading off your crimes. Rogers and the others weren't even in attendance, apparently you were that insignificant to them. Jerks.