Chapter 34

Water is the source of life. In the past, our ancestors came from the water to walk on land. We drink it, wash ourselves, and prepare our food with it. It can have a healing effect and hydrates the natural life. In this sense, it nourishes us and gives us a cool-down on hot days. Without water we wouldn't exist, without it we are nothing. It exists in every life form and can even express emotions. It is a gift of heaven but also with gifts one must be careful. Because too much water is terrible, destructive, and deadly. And what happened that one night would be stuck for a long time in the heads of the people who witnessed and went through it. In this one night, the Aomine clan met with the deadly unpredictability of water.

It happened in the blink of an eye. The warning call of the scout had hardly died away when the disaster already was upon them. The dull rumble in the distance had announced it and in less than ten minutes a mudslide of earth, stones, and torn trees took everything away they owned and made the village equal to the ground. Only those who had heard the call in time could save themselves into higher terrain. But even so, almost nobody came away unharmed. It was a disaster on an unprecedented scale, leaving the people in front of a pile of rubble from pain, anxiety, memories, and the lifeless bodies of loved ones. The plaintive cries of the wounded echoed through the night and mingled with the mournful wails of the children.

꧁✿.。.:* ☆:**:..:**:.☆*.:。.✿꧂

The saying goes: "All good things are three." But this time it couldn't be used because it was exactly the contrary. Being greeted by torn and dirty Aomine tribe's citizen's first thing in the morning when the haze of the night still lingered on the ground, wasn't what Kagetora would call a change for the good. They had just gotten back a few hours earlier, taken care of Taiga and pretty much everyone still feared for the lives of the two young men. One still feverish and the other telling that he still couldn't feel his limbs very well. They had done everything they could. Now waiting for the better or the worst was the only thing left. So in this situation, he would definitely call it the worst. First, he noticed a tall green-haired woman, barely able to walk, swaying out of the foggy underwood. Soon after her, others in the same or even worse condition followed. Some of them carried baskets or wounded people and Kagetora immediately left his look-out, catching the tall woman before she could plummet to the ground.

"Careful there." He helped her sit up and her pretty green eyes reminded him of the greenette. "You're Shintarou's mother? What happened?" He fiddled with his water hose and brought it to her lips. More and more people gathered around him but he noticed immediately that there weren't as many as he had seen during his last mission from his daughter.

Slowly, taking small sips, Midori felt the cool liquid run down her throat. She let out a heavy breath and looked grateful at the stubble bearded man. "Is my chieftain here? Masahiro of the Aomine tribe? We have many injured people. I need to talk to him immediately." Kagetora nodded, taking his water bag back. "I will call for him and his wife and wake up my chieftain." He stood up and looked over the haggard people. "Rest. Help will soon come for you." He promised and got to wake everyone up.

꧁✿.。.:* ☆:**:..:**:.☆*.:。.✿꧂

It was a mess. Crying children, bleeding wounds, exhausted people everywhere. They couldn't have enough helping hands to master this challenge. Even the last Kagami citizens were on their legs to help somewhere. Sew wounds, bring water and food, or simply donate consolation.

Riko wiped sweat from her forehead and continued to calm a little boy with a head wound and tear tracks on his dirty cheeks. "Junpei, get me some hot water. I need to clean him up. And don't forget the disinfecting ointment." She squatted down before the boy and clutched his small hands in hers. "There, there you will be fine. Don't worry." The sobbing subsided a bit and she met with dark watery eyes. "Where is mommy and daddy?" The pleading wail made Riko flinch. "I don't know little one. Weren't they with you on your way to us?" When the boy shook his head and new tears began to stream down his cheeks, she clutched him tightly to her chest and tried to ignore her stinging eyes. She had no words for him, only her body warmth to soothe him. Hugging him tight, she rocked back and forth and caressed his hair.