seven

"you could've asked to borrow some gear

"you could've asked to borrow some gear. i would've gotten you full tanks." she narrowed her eyes at the tall boy fiddling with the oxygen tanks.

"this ones a quarter full. enough for one of us." kiara taps the little monitor showing how much oxygen and asks, "anyone know how to dive."

the crew went quiet and olivia nodded, "it's kind of a kook sport." jj shrugged, then it went quiet again.

"i... read about it." pope spoke up. "great pope read about it so someone's gonna die." kiara retorted and shook her head with a sigh. "look y-you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. how hard could it be?"

"well if you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood and you get the bends." pope starts to do his smart thing and explain what happens and of course jj had to make a joke about it. "bends like, bend over and..." he stuck his butt up and bent over weirdly, olivia sighed heavily and smacked him on the behind and he retracted quickly with a yelp, "the bends kill you, jackass."

"right.." "i can... i can dive." john b volunteered and olivia scoffed, "hell no."
john b looked up to her, "i'll be fine liv."

"john b if you dive, the bends won't be the thing that kills you." she widens her eyes at him, they started to argue back and forth about who should dive since she had more experience than him but he didn't want to risk her life for something that might not even be down there. "i grew up on this john, let me dive!"

"no. i don't want to lose you!"

the group was silent once again and she stood there stunned. after a while she finally gave in while pope was doing calculations on how john b should go about doing this and she frowned when he started putting the gear on.

"which means you need to make your safety stop at about ten feet... for two minutes." and olivia took the opportunity to take her shirt off and jump into the water, estimating the water to see how far down she was and tied her shirt at the ten feet mark.

while she was under the boys talked and kiara just listened and rolled her eyes, "uh..."

"what was that all about?"

"i don't know, but i liked it. a lot." kiara scoffed "jj i will throw you in after her and drown you." his smirk appeared, "kinky kie."

the two other boys shifted in discomfort and changed back to the subject at hand.  when olivia resurfaced with a pant, jj was talking about a cargo hold and what to do with it.

"i tied my shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down. it's where you need to do your safety stop." the blue eyed girl announced and climbed back in the boat.

olivia walked up to john b and kissed his face, maybe a little too close to his lips but neither of them seemed to mind. he looked into her eyes and saw the stars he's always wanting to reach for. "diver down?"

"diver down." she smiles softly and stepped away, he jumped in and saluted to the girl before going under the water. "olivia, you filthy little slut!" jj teased, "jj i will drown you." which made pope chuckle since kiara had said something so similar three minutes before.

"jj, you got any good stuff for me sir?" she winked and he nodded before taking it out and giving her the baggie. but the siren on the sheriffs boat called and she fumbled to hide it in her pocket before they caught her. pope freaked out like he always did and thought he was going to lose his merit scholarship.. like always...
but he had a reason to worry, olivia didn't and she envied pope because of it.

"just act frickin' normal." kiara says and olivia clears her throat before pretending she didn't just have a baggie of weed in her hand and leaning her elbows against the edge of the boat. "evening!" she smiles at the two officers. "evening," sheriff shoupe greets her with a nod. pope told jj to tie off the boat to theirs and made small talk with the sheriffs.

"how you kids doin'? you know the marsh is closed." he looked over to olivia and raised his eyebrows at her, "miss cameron. you knew that."

"actually sir, i didn't. why is it closed?" she smiles nervously but it was believable enough to make it look like she wasn't nervous at all. "well, we're conducting a search out here. boat went down. seen anything?"

they all shook their heads or voiced it all with a no and shoupe nodded. olivia looked over the edge to see if john b had made his way up yet but he was still down there. she got more and more nervous as the minutes went by and shoupe just wouldn't shut up and get the hell out of there.

"where's your friend you always hang with? he here?" olivia gulped visibly. "he's working," kie lied. thank god for kiara. "i'm gonna check your little boat out." he hops on. olivia mentally groaned at this man but he payed no mind to her when she rolled her eyes, it was her thing... rolling her eyes. olivia watched shoupe shuffle around the boat looking for life vests, enough for each of them and when he made it to where she was sitting, he gestured for her to get up and move so she scurried to the other side of the boat. tapping her foot while the oxygen became lower and lower on john b's tank. she's cursing him, wishing he'd ask for the tanks instead of stealing empty ones.

he climbed to the bow and looks over with warning from the two boys not to slip, "he's running out of air." liv whispered to jj and he nodded and tapped his foot nervously just like olivia.

it felt like forever later when shoupe hopped back into his own boat with the other sheriff and told the teenagers to have a nice day and be on the lookout for any boats.

they made sure of it and watched them speed away.the teenagers made their way to the side of the boat to see if john b had come up yet and luckily right on cue he did and they all let out breaths they didn't know were being held in. thanking god he didn't run out of time and air... well, mostly time.

olivia rushed over to the side of the boat where no one stood and took a deep breath of relief. "you okay?" she rejoined the group when she noticed a black bag dripping in jj's hands, "yeah i ran out of air." he panted but still kept a smile on his face for her. "you scared the shit out of me." she shook her head at him. once he got on the boat she pulled him into a big hug and stayed there for a few seconds. "i'm glad you're okay. you psycho."

"hey guys? guys, bogey, two o'clock." kiara averted everyone's attention to the white boat heading towards them. "do you recognize that boat?"

"never seen it." liv and kie say at the same time. "what are they going back here? the marsh is closed." the dark haired girl pointed out, "i don't know but let's not stick around to find out."

"jj get the bowline." olivia sat next to kiara and john b who drove the boat and the teens panicked as the boat got closer, "guys don't wait for me. don't wait for me!" jj told john b and pope.

they started going and pope told them to act natural so the men on the boat wouldn't suspect them. "hey guys, they're following us." liv informed the group and they all turned around to confirm. john b sped as fast as he could through the marsh but the men were still gaining on them.

olivia felt something whir passed her and she ducked, "what the fuck!" she yells. john b still stood and she pulled him down, "oh my god we're gonna die." pope exclaims, covering his face. it's safe to say that day, they all felt their lives flash before their eyes.

——
|kaylee's note|

edited

it's this scene that gives me anxiety 🤠
hope you enjoyed!
comment and vote cause i know you're cool 😏

-kaylee ❤️