nineteen

with luck, olivia and john b got onto the ferry back towards the island of kildare and sat in silence for a while until olivia spoke up just in time for the horn to blare around them, "my dad will simply kill me for being out all night without act...

with luck, olivia and john b got onto the ferry back towards the island of kildare and sat in silence for a while until olivia spoke up just in time for the horn to blare around them, "my dad will simply kill me for being out all night without actually knowing where i am."

"weren't you at kiara's the last time he checked?" his eyebrows furrowed in amusement and earned a chuckle from the girl sitting next to him. "yeah but by now, he'd have contacted mr. carrera and know i was lying this whole time."

"ahh right i forget, you've got bubble wrap, i don't." his fingers tapped against the side of his thigh as he stared out towards the water in thought, she was doing the same and they fell into silence again as they drank the sodas slowly.

the silence was broken again but this time by john b, "so what's it gonna be like when we get back?" his fingers still tapping the side of his thigh but faster now, like he was nervous of what she would say and he's pretty sure she noticed.

"what do you mean?" she was fiddling with the hem of her dress now, not making eye contact. she was nervous and she didn't know why. "i mean... with like um..." his hand left the side of his thigh and tried to point between the two of them as he shook with nerves. "this?" she smiled slightly at his attempt to be confident and failed. only because she was so cute and john b couldn't help the butterflies doing their thing in his belly when she giggled next to him.

"i assume it'll be the same as it was." but her voice sounded just as disappointed as his would've if he said the same thing. she meant it as he's not gonna make his move and they'll be stuck as friends forever because she's sure she's too afraid to even try and tell him she really actually has feelings for him and that he's not just hearing it because jj told him so. "right?"

his nod was almost unnoticed but it was still there, looking between her and the ocean out in front of him. he needed to just suck it up and do it already. even if he was just as afraid as olivia was. "i'll go back to the bubble." she trailed off in thought, "like..." he didn't get to say what he wanted to before she sighed, hinting that it wasn't just any bubble but the one she's been trapped in since she was born.

"i did have a really great last few days though." she couldn't help the smile on her face as she watched his face, "me too." and he returned it.

the rest of the ferry ride was quiet again and they sat in comfortable silence until they made it back to kildare. "so..." she took his hand in hers like she always did and scuffed her soles against the wood of the dock. "yes?"

"now that we have returned to the motherland, we must revert back to our true identities, john b," his hand loosened on hers and once she was in front of him she turned and paused to look at him. "thank you for these past few days. it was honestly so much fun. i really needed that." she held out her hand for him to shake and he took it while nodding. "pleasures mine."