twenty-three

olivia's point of view

the world around me seemed to slow as sheriff peterkin fell to her knees and a big red stain started seeping its way onto her shoulder.

she fell backwards into her back and anxiety was wracking through my body. as i looked up from her convulsing body as she tried to keep her breath steady, i saw the one person i really tried to think wasn't capable of something like this. rafe.

"what the fuck is wrong with you!" i screamed at him, tears streaming down my face, his hands still pointing the gun at the heap of people in front of him.

"are you that fucked in the head? what is wrong with you!" i screamed again, this time his blue eyes looked up at me and i saw nothing. no emotion whatsoever on my brothers face and it made my blood run freezing.

rafe then looked back to the two men kneeling over peterkin as she gasped for her life and ward tried to stop him from coming any closer with the gun to john b's face. his finger was on the call button for the radio.

"don't. try. it. asshole." rafe's voice was low in warning and john b still stood his ground. even as a gun was held in front of his face, a dad who's trying to calm his son, and i was just standing there watching it all go down. i couldn't move.

"give me the radio john b." ward held his hands out for it but john b shook his head. "no." "give me the damn radio."

and ward took it, no other words towards the boy who's trying so hard to keep this woman alive, her voice was strained so much as to a whisper. i couldn't hear what she said but john b's answer was he wasn't leaving her.

she said something again and this time, tears fell from john b's face as he apologized and ran up to me, grabbing my hands and pulling me with him. "where are you going?" rafe yelled and i let go of john b's hands and pushed him behind me, "run!" and he did, so fast i hardly even saw him.

"stop!" i screamed at the two guys in front of me, holding them back weakly with my shaking arms, "please stop!" i cried, yet rafe still shot his gun in john b's direction and god i hope he didn't just hit him.

ward then grabbed onto rafe and i let go, running towards peterkin who was still breathing thank god. "i'm so sorry." i cried and held the bandanna against the gunshot wound my dumbass brother inflicted. "it's not your fault darlin,'" she was breathless. "i'm so sorry." i sobbed even more. this woman was dying and all i could do was hold pressure on her wound. i wasn't saving her, i couldn't. she was bleeding out and i tried my best to hold onto the bandanna but my hands were bloody and they were slipping everywhere. the smell nauseating and it was making me weaker.