Chapter Five - Announcements

I had dozed off almost immediately after we drove into the express We had been driving for about an hour now in full speed. There was no traffic thankfully. We drove past the wooded that let to the Islanders estates. We finally slow down when we get to the large gate that had the Islander coat of arm on it. The officers there were from Grandfathers security agencies. They didn't even bother searching the car like they did to other cars that came into the estate. The family had a special type of plate number that let them go through any form of security. They waved us in immediately.
A few more minutes drive and we arrived at another gate with the family coat of arm on it. They open the gates and we drive into the open drive way. The car stops in front of the large Victorian style mansion I was very familiar with and I hesitate to come down from the car when James opens the door.
I didn't bother carrying any of my personal belongings that James had arranged beside me before I got into the car earlier. I stood in front of the stairs that led to the house as the cars drove off. I said a silent prayer in hopes that things won't be as bad as they actually are.
I was welcomed by my junior sister Deborah, who rushed out to hug me. "Hey, sis I am so sorry" she said.
Deborah wasn't as tall as I am and she was more friendly and extremely nice. She and my other cousins, Timi's sisters Debola, Toriola, Tamilore and Jemima were born when grandfather had become soft and he didn't care so much to discipline them as hard as he did with me, Timi and Tobi another cousin of mine. They were both older than me but the three of us related well. Timi being the oldest. We had attended Islanders High together.
"You have to be very calm okay" Deborah said. My sister unlike me is happily married with a child.

" you are a lady, you can't be allowed to stay on your own" my mom would always say when ever I talked about getting my own place "What will people say"

. Deborah unlike me went to medical school. She decided to stop working after she had her baby and no one questioned her for that.

"At least, she went. If we need her at any point in time at the hospital we can count on her" my dad has said to me once.
At 25, she has a family of her own and a medical degree as well as a job waiting for her at the snap of her fingers.
She sniffs me a bit "were you drinking" she asked.
"Maybe" I said as I stared into the house through the glass doors.
"What a stupid question. Let's just go in. Okay" she said as she led me in.
As we get to the door, one of the uniformed helps held out the door for us to come in.
"Good evening, ma'am"she said. We walk across the foyer to the wall that parted open for us to walk by. It revealed the sitting room.
Inside the large living area with different sitting areas. My mom and aunties on one side and my cousins on another. The children played separately as they were being waited on by four babysitters. The room fell silent as we came in. Heads turned to look at us. My mom started to storm towards me angrily
"How dare you not pick my fathers call, who do you think you are" she yelled despite the calmness in her voice as she walked towards me.
My aunty Jemila, Timi's mom got in her way and held her by the arm and whispered something I couldn't hear to her but it made her stop. She looks at me with disgust in her eyes. Before turning around to resume are sitting position .
Timi's mom walked towards me and held on to my arm " how are you?" She asked softly as a tear dropped from my eyes. I nodded profusely before replying " I am fine"
She holds my hand tight. Before the door opens again and Timi's wife Dara walks in carrying her baby in one hand as she held on to her daughter's hand in the other. Exchange of pleasantries all around the room.
Compared to everyone else in the sitting room she was underdressed in her white t-shirt, face cap jeans and snickers with her natural hair packed back and her nerd glasses. She handed her children over to their grandmother "I am so sorry I am late mom, it was such a short notice, we were already in bed"
She turned to look at me and held my hand in hers.
"I am so sorry, Ola" she said holding on to both my hands before hugging me.
She looks at me again with pity in her eyes.
"Come with me" she said.
"We will be right back" she said loud enough for everyone to hear as she led me back and into the hallway. We walk towards one of the elevators and had a silent ride up.
She leads me into her room. "You can't go and see grandfather like that" she said "and neither can I"
We had the same stature except that I was fairer that she was. I quickly take a shower and when am done she has laid out two gowns for me that suits my style.
"Thank you" I said as stepped out of the closet with a hand full of clothes as I wore my shoes in the living area in the large room.
"Oh I wasn't sure what your style was so I brought more options" she said as she poured the clothes down on the couch nearest to her.
"Oh no, this is alright" I admit.
"Okay I will be with you shortly" she said before disappearing into the closet. Ten minutes later and she came out looking like a totally different person. She didn't look like a soccer mom anymore.
She tied her hair in a bun and had gotten rid of her glasses now that she had contact lenses on. She now wore a black gown that passed her kneels a bit. I recognize it from Vera wangs recent collection. Her dark circles were gone and she wore the exact same Red Buttom heels as I did. She stood taller and suddenly looked meaner for some reason.

" shall we" she said with a straight face as she held out the door for me.
We got into the Elevator "what about Timi?" I asked her as she clicked the Elevator buttons
"He is waiting with Grandfather" she answered as she looked at me blankly before she let out a little smile. I prefer soccer mom Dara. She isn't as uptight as the Dara standing before her now.
She leads me towards Grandfathers Library that is guarded by four men.
"Good day ma'am" they all chorused.
I stood next to her as the large mahogany doors fell open to reveal the library my Grandfather cherished so much and hardly left. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack as I took my first steps in.
The only sound I could hear was that of our heels hitting the marble floor.
My grandfathers table stood in front of the window. My grandfather sat on his chair and my uncle stood by his left side and Timi stood on the right.
My mom and dad stood aside. Timi looked at his wife then at me. He didn't say anything. The door opened again but no one turned to look. .
"Do you know how many people I have called who have refused to bid my calling" Grandfather said calmly as he stood up from him sit, Timi moved back to let him through as he held out his walking stick.
"Do you know how many people have had the guts to defile my order"
Every word he said, he said calmly one after the other igniting the proper amount of fear it was made to create in me.
"Grandfather, I apologize" I managed to let out as tears role down my eyes. " I didn't mean to....."
He walks towards me and stops in my front.
"I know" he said as he leaned on his walking stick like old people did "I know"
"Grandfather, I swear...." I managed to say before I stopped
" I know. But you will make it up to me. You will make it up to your family." He said with his still expressionless face " You will get married a few days from now"

————————————————————————-
I know you are really enjoying this book. Thank you for the support but please don't forget to drop a comment and vote for this story.
Thanks in advance