Chapter 7

Hi

So I just realized that I kinda took some inspiration from "mermaid origins" by @Blue-wolves23

So go check it out. The story is pretty different, and probably better than mine.

Brandon's POV

I felt terrible, Jakey was going to be so angry at me. As I swum out with Father, I heard Jakey growl.

I really messed up.

All I did was point out that Jakey and Bri really didn't like each other, and that Jakey spent so much time exploring, they never got the chance to get to know each other

Father somehow took that as, 'he needs to be bring her along on his adventures.'

Ok to be real, Father probably doesn't think he's going to continue looking after this, but, knowing my little brother, I doubted he'd give up that easily.

I sighed. Maybe Mario would be in the library today. I haven't seen him an awhile.

I carefully pushed the door open, and i noticed that the usual librarian wasn't around, instead an older merman with glasses was delicately writing on the book she was usually reading.

"Uhm Sorry, have you seen my brother Prince Mario?" I asked as I swam up to him

He looked up, surprised. "Oh, Prince Mario? No, I haven't seen him in a few weeks I'm afraid." He said, hesitantly shaking his head.

"But... the other librarian... she said she saw him not long ago..." I muttered. He didn't seem to hear me.

"Your highness?" I jumped when an unfamiliar voice came from behind me.

Turning around, I found that it belonged to Merman, who looked around the same age as me. He had a purple tail, with much dark fins. His hair was dark brown, with a singular purple streak. He was gesturing for me to come over from a nearby table.

"Yes?" I swam over.

He was reading a book titled "the Many Mysteries and Miseries of Magic", and gestured for me to sit.

"I'm quite sorry to say this, but I believe your brother left the city almost a month ago." He said once I sat across for him.

"What?! But, but why? Wait what proof do you have?" I asked.

He sighed, setting down the book.

"A few weeks ago, I was studying in here, as was Prince Mario. He seemed frustrated, and he's been researching silence curses for a long time. The other librarian offered him help, and from I could tell, he discovered something important, but was unhappy with it, and asked the librarian for help. He told her he was going to leave the city for possibly a very long time, and that he couldn't tell her why. But he asked her to tell no one that he was gone, and in fact make it seem like he was still in town."

I fell silent, slowly taking in this information.

Mario, left? Without telling me? And Jakey's probably already gone again...

I'm all alone.

"Uhm Sorry what's your name?" I asked the helpful mer. Maybe I should try to make friends for once, now that I didn't have any of my brothers around.

I now noticed that he had a promise mark on his cheek, it was an electric blue, shaped like a starfish. As I watched, it starting slightly glowing, startling me.

Right, they do that. Guess I'm so used to Jakey's lifeless mark, I forgot that for most people they react often.

"Micheal" he said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "My name is Micheal."