Chapter 17

So.. uhm they're some kinda angst in this. I think, maybe. I tried.

Jakey's POV

I groaned, hearing Bri gasp again. 

Is she got her tail stuck because of the pearl strings again I'm going to murder her in cold blood.

"What now? Did you get stuck? Again?" I turned to get a better look at her.

To my relief she hadn't. Instead she was staring at a big fish. It was a an odd one. Golden colors mixed with silvers, and it seemed to be glowing.

"What is it? Why is it glowing? It's so weird and cute. And it looks dangerous too!" She said reaching out to touch it. As she did, it's features twisted in a terrifying way, and the glow turned red. She gasped, pulling her hand back. The fish quickly swam off.

"It's an angel glow fish. They're usually quite friendly, and some mers even keep them as pets. But when they feel threatened they can twist their features and change the color of their glow to startle predators, and I think they can also sense other creatures emotions. There's actually a type of mer related to them, angel glower mers. I'm not surprised what you've never heard of them. They're pretty uncommon."

She blinked at me "So how do you know about them?" She asked, some anger seeping into her tone.

Is she angry she doesn't know about them, or is she angry I know more than her? It's really hard to tell.

"I studied. Despite spending most of them out of the city I do have access to books."

"How?" It was Austin who spoke this time.

"There are people who live outside the city you know." I answered, diving deeper into the canyon, hoping they wouldn't keep asking questions.

Working with others was odd, in fact being around others was odd. I mean, occasionally Austin or Colin wold help me check out something near the city. Or I'd crash at Pat's place for a few days. But for the most part, I'd been alone since Bryan disappeared.

More like since he died. Since your dad killed him. And you couldn't protect him. 

I growled, vaguely aware of Colin and Austin looking at me, worry in their eyes. Bri was checking out an other opening.

I swam into a cavern. Dead end. I came to a stop at the back of the cave, staring at the wall.

He's alive. He's alive and I'm going to find him.

But what if he isn't? My hands curled into a fist.

What if he's gone forever. And you're out here looking for someone who is gone instead of extracting justice. I growled again

Shut up

What if he's alive, but he doesn't care about you? What if he hates you for taking so long to find him?

SHUT UP.

What if he doesn't know you? What if he forgot everything?

"Shut up" I whispered

What if this entire time you've just been wasting your time? Wha-

"Shut! UP!" I shouted, slamming my fist into the cavern wall in front of me. Cracking the stone, as pain shot through my hand.