Chapter 23

Mario's really not ok either. 

His world is changing a lot, very fast. He needs to cry for a bit.

And Lucas is really on edge. To be fair, he's also going through a lot.

His head still hurts, and he isn't used to sleeping this much.

Lucas's POV

I can not believe it. I can't fricken believe it. I'm the worst and unluckiest brother in the whole flipping world

I take two day off to get rid of this stupid headache and the ocean starts glowingly cause apparently by my little brother, Mario reopened his wound, and Bryan left with his boyfriend.

This is why sleep can't be trusted.

"I seriously missed all that?" I said, looking between my brother and Mario in the medical tent. David nodded from his spot next to Mario's bed and the mer prince shrugged.

"To be fair, the first time I used my mental voice, when I was 3 I think, I nearly fell into a coma. I slept for a week at least." He said. I think he's trying to make me feel better, but it's not really working. I don't think he's very good with people.

"Thanks... I think..." I said, slowly sitting down.

"So what do we do now? We should be ready to go as soon as Mario leaves. So two weeks grand max right?" I glanced at the future Protector for confirmation.

He raised his hands and started counting on his fingers. As he did I noticed a black shield emblem on his palms.

I've seen that symbol before.

My mother offering me a hand up.

"What is that?" I said pointing at his hands. He paused, and glancing at his palms he frowned.

"Their the marks of a Protector... why? Is everything ok?" He said, hesitantly. 

"I've seen those before..." I said slowly. Letting the memories wash over me.

He squeezed his eyes shut, and shook his head

Stop. Please please stop.

Why? You yourself said that our parent would have to be a very powerful mer. So wouldn't it make sense?

You're right, it does make sense. It makes too much sense. But... I can't. I honestly can't fathom it at the same time. It makes perfect sense, but at the same time....  He buried his face in his hands.

The last protector disappeared much like Bryan, but she took something at the same time. And why wouldn't she have come back by now?

Because of us! David, and Mitch and Bryan and Dad and me! She had a good reason. Multiple good reasons in fact! That doesn't make the theory any less plausible!

Why wouldn't she have helped Bryan home!?

Maybe because she "knew it wouldn't be safe for him yet! You yourself made it clear that king wants Bryan dead!" I snapped, without even realizing I was now speaking out loud, rising from my seat.

"Lucas you need to calm down." Mario begged, still not looking up.

"ME!? YOU NEED TO LISTEN! YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND! YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU'RE WRONG. YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU'RE A SELFISH COWARD! SO INSTEAD OF DENYING SOMETHING YOU KNOW IS TRUE TO PROTECT YOUR FRAGILE POINT OF VIEW YOU NEED TO GROW UP! I GET YOU'RE UPSET AND FRAGILE THAT YOU AREN'T COMPETENT ENOUGH TO HELP YOUR BROTHER BUT WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN YOU STUCK UP PRI-"