Chapter 20: reunion

Here. Have some fluff.

Also a few swear words. The D-squad make an appearance.

Jakey's POV

I felt a rush of disbelief, as I watched my promise mark continued to pulse a warm and happy glow.

He's here. He's here, he's close.

He's safe, he's alive. I'm so close to seeing him again.

As the glow slowly faded, I looked over to the other mers. A few calculations were running through my head.

"The islands. There's no one and nothing going to be living here since there were shade stingers so nearby. The coral reefs are too far for the glow to be this bright. He has to be around the islands." I said, already started to swim in that directions.

"Ok. You can go, but you need to rest. At least four hours of rest. Using up your powers and overextending yourself can be seriously dangerous." Bri said, grabbing me before I could swim off any further.

"Let me go! I need to-" I turned to glare at her, pulling my hand out her grasp. But Austin stopped me as well

"Bri's right. You need to rest. You don't want to pass out or accidentally electrocute him, now right? Do you really feel like you can swim a few kilometers without passing out right now?" He scolded me. "How do you feel right now."

I glared at him. "I feel annoyed. And angry, and in need of going to find my promised! And... and tired..." I realized, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath.

I'm exhausted... but Bryan is so close... but what if I can't control my powers?

I held up my hands and looked at them. They were shaking insanely, steam still coming off of them.

"Fine. I'll rest." I said slowly. "But only for a few hours. Then I'm going to find him." I added, glaring at both of them.

"That's totally fair." Austin said nodding slowly.

"Still kinda stupid, but sure." Bri said shrugging.

"Let's get back to camp." Colin said smiling at all of us, gently grabbing my wrist and tugging me towards the camp. Away from the islands, away from Bryan.

I'll be with you soon, I promise.

"Ok... it's been all day. My hands aren't shaking anymore. Can I go now?" I turned to Austin. "Actually never mind, I'm going now, and don't even try to stop me." I said glaring at him, as I swam past him. He held his hands up in defense

"Right, I guess that's fair." He said plainly.

As I started swimming off when I heard Colin call "Jakey what up!"

"What?!" I snapped turning harshly towards him. He held up his hands.

"I'm coming with you, just in case, ok?" He said, smiling.

"Ok... sorry I'm a bit on edge since SOMEONE forced me to STAY AT CAMP DESPITE MY PROMISED BEING SO FISHING CLOSE!... AUSTIN!" I screamed at him

"It was for your own good! I am not sorry!" He shouted right back at me.

I huffed and nodded at Colin. "Let's go."

About an hour later, we were nearly at the nearest island. I could hear Colin having trouble keeping up, not far behind me, but was too lost in thought to really notice.