Meet the Parents

The next days following my decision to be with Mari did not go as planned. The execution seems to be a little elusive.

I was still trying to find time to be with him alone. Unfortunately, his schedule has been hella busy.

I get to spend time with him during class, but of course over there we focus on learning. We both take it seriously and frankly I am really impressed on his study and work ethics.

After class, he just drops me off at the condo entrance and then go straight to various meetings he has with his colleagues.

They were busy finalizing the result of the experiment he headed two years ago.

Apparently, they submitted it during the conference in Sydney last time, and the institute is considering it as a marine biology breakthrough.

It's a big deal for him. Once it's approved, he'll be textbook famous. Although, he's not interested in the fame, he is extremely happy that all his hard work is not in vain.

In addition, the grant that will be awarded to his team will be a huge boost to the next project he has his eyes on.

It's great because I am discovering new things about him. I love that he's so passionate about marine life, so much so that when he talks about this project, his eyes twinkle. It's so exhilarating to watch.

On the other hand, it's frustrating. I can't see any window of opportunity for me to declare my love for him.

Maybe I'm being inconsiderate and making a big deal out of it? I'm too caught up in my own agenda that I'm failing to support him?

I guess it'll just have to wait.

...

Today is already Friday and I just got home from the dance class.

Mari didn't even attend. I messed up the steps and I have no rhythm. I guess it's just not the same without him..

I sighed. "It's crazy Mitch! I feel like I'm going to explode. Sometimes during lunch in school, I stare at him and I almost want to blurt out that I love him! I can't keep this up any longer." I paced my living room looking exasperated. "I want to be able to show that Rio girl that Mari is mine! Gosh, every chance she gets to get close to him, she'll go and take it. It's annoying."

Mitch giggled on the other line. "Relax jealous pants. You'll get your chance. It's only been a few days..Weekend is coming up. Maybe you can take him to some beach in Batangas? He's a beach lover right? You can proclaim your love for him under the sunset."

"That's actually my plan A, but it won't work this weekend." I said dismayed.

"Huh? Why? Is he still working this weekend?" Mitch asked.

"I don't know if he has plans yet, but remember it's dad's birthday? I'm spending the weekend in our house in Q.C." I said matter-of-factly.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I'm sorry I can't be there with you. My family already made plans for this weekend." Mitch paused for a while. "Do you think you'll be okay?" She asked hesitantly. "Your sister will be there.."

I smiled. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Actually, I intend to talk to her. I think I'm ready to patch things up with her..I do miss my little sister. We were so close before that asshole Matteo ruined everything. I forgave her already, now it's time we finally forget it and move forward."

"Awww..this got me a little teary-eyed. That's great Eli. Everything is falling into place now. I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you, Mitch. Forgiving her felt like lifting a huge boulder on my chest. It feels amazing."