Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Good night

After a series of therapy with Psychiatrists and medicine intakes, I can finally say that I am completely healed. Actually, it was lucky for me to just obtain a moderate injury from that accident. Most of the patients who hit their heads hard on the rock often fall into a coma or worse become brain dead.

According to my Doctor, my case wasn't that serious, and the immediate aid from Elias that day provided an essential role in my recovery. She also said that I was experiencing post-traumatic amnesia─ the reason why I couldn't remember after the accident.

"We're glad, Frances, that you can now remember," the Doctor smiled.

"Thank you for your help," I simply said as my response.

"It's normal that you lost your memory for a week..." she trailed off. "Some patients can barely remember and most likely never will."

Though, I can't say that I remember everything. I remember the events before that accident. I remember my family, friends, and everyone who's close to my heart but other than that, nothing.

My Psychiatrist tried to make me recall my childhood and I couldn't say anything.

I just remember that I pursued law and got my degree. I founded an organization for women's rights. Dad was and is campaigning for the national office. I worked in our law firm and recently, I lost a case wherein Elias was the defendant's attorney. Went to Cebu for a break, bumped into Elias the morning I decided to jog and we talked about Brianna... her girl.

That's all and I chose not to be tempted in recollecting what's already in the past. The last thing that I remembered was too painful. I am afraid to get hurt further.

Even though, I didn't really know him. I just remember him as Elias, perhaps my friend. A friend that's very dear to me... a friend that relentlessly swirling in my head. It was just his touch... warm and firm. Touch that stays with you, that your mind wouldn't allow to forget.

"I'm coming back, Miles. I just got in my chopper, flying to land in Laguna," I said on the other line.

Kahit pa pinipilit ako nila Mommy na manatili kahit isang linggo pa sa Cebu ay mas pinili ko ang bumalik na ng Laguna para makabalik na rin ng trabaho sa Manila. Ngayon na mas napapalapit ang eleksyon ay mas lalong hindi na napagtutuonan ni Mommy ang kompanya. Mabuti nalang din ay kahit paano tumutulong na si Tita Cristina habang wala pa ako.

"Alright! I'm excited... by the way, naalala mo 'yung sinabi ko sa 'yo bago ka naaksidente?"

Kumunot ang noo ko bago nilipat sa kabilang kamay ang telepono.

"Yeah. 'Yung ibabalita mo?"

"Yes! That's right!" masigla niyang sabi na tila ba'y malaking karangalan na naalala ko iyon.

Umirap ako at nahawa na rin sa halakhak niya.

"Ano ba kasi iyon?"

"Pagdating mo na nga rito! Sa opisina ka na ba didiretso?"

Mukhang wala siya'ng balak bigyan ako ng pahinga!

Nalingat ang atensyon ko sa aking wrist watch at napag-alaman na alas-otso pa lamang ng umaga. Huminga ako nang malalim bago tumango.

"Yes, maybe."

I hung up the call when I noticed that we're now about to land in the helipad of our mansion in Laguna. Dinaluhan agad ako ng maraming kasambahay hanggang sa makapasok ako ng mansion. The moment I stepped in the grand hall my eyes found my Tita Cristina in her wheelchair. I then walked across before her to plant a kiss on her cheek.