Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Bullet

There was a brief programme. Miles and William shared how they met on a dating app, how hard it was for them to be in a long-distance relationship, their struggles and drama, and etc. Basically, their love story. Thereafter, they gave advises to singles present here in their wedding celebration.

Of course, I couldn't mishear my name when Miles mentioned it─ she told everyone that I am single and everyone cheered. Little did everyone knows, I am already taken for a quiet some time now.

I glanced at Elias after the bride mistakenly announced my status. Elias was clenching his jaw, eyes on the glass of his water.

Then the dinner came. That was the time when people started to hit each other, talk about anything, making loud noises, and chitchats. Kanina kasi ay hindi nagkaroon ng pagkakataon para magpakilala sa isa't-isa dahil siyempre nasa bagong kasal ang buong atensyon.

Puno ang lamesa namin ng mga kaibigan ni Miles at William, mas lamang nga lang ang dami ng kaibigan ni William. Unfortunately, aside from the familiar ladies I've met at Miles' bridal shower, I know no one. Si Tristan naman ay tahimik lang din sa gilid ko.

"Frances!" I heard Miles' call from the crowd.

My eyes immediately found her, she's now approaching our loud table. I rose off my seat and welcomed her with a hug. Hindi ako nagkaroon ng pagkakataon malapitan siya kanina dahil lagi siyang dinudumog ng mga bisita.

"Pasensya na ngayon lang kita nalapitan!" she said after a quick embrace.

I chuckled. "It's okay. I am enjoying the party naman."

Her eyes were twinkling with so much joy. It was infectious─ I can't help but smile wider.

"I am married na!" she lifted her hand, showing me the ring.

Niyakap ko muli siya at sabay kaming tumalon sa tuwa.

"Dadating ka rin sa araw na 'to, Frances! Kaya 'wag kang mainggit!"

Humalakhak ako.

"Oo naman! Hindi ako naiinggit 'no!"

I am truly happy for her but I can't deny that I envy her a little because unlike me, she could proclaim her love. Everyone can see how her eyes twinkle everytime she looks at her husband. How can she hold the love of her life everywhere, hug him in public, and be kissed by his man with her in his arms.

Then suddenly, thoughts of Elias as a free man, free to love in public landed on the back of my head. I imagined him taking a girl out, holding her hand in the middle of a party. Introducing her to his friends as his girlfriend.

But that imagination doesn't include me. I wasn't that girl.

I swallowed secretly when I felt bitterness starting to pinch my heart.

"Ipapakilala kita sa kanila!" si Miles.

Pinilit kong ngumisi at pinaalala sa sarili na hindi ito ang oras para isipin ang gano'ng bagay. It should be all about Miles, not me. Not my love frustrations.

Tumango ako at nagpatianod sa hatak niya. Papalapit pa lang kami sa lamesa agad na nagtama ang mga mata namin ni Elias.

Damn. I miss him so much!

I flashed him a smile but he didn't smile back. His eyes remained serious, it was as if I've never been out of his sight. Never.

Ginapangan ako ng kaba. Sa titig niya ay parang nababasa niya ang naiisip ko. I wonder if he had unleashed the imagination I was thinking a few seconds ago. Him with other girl.