Chapter 24

I stay in the Med-jack hut for a week, with a constant stream of visitors the only thing keeping me sane. Zart brings me fresh cherries, and Fry brings me various treats, Gally comes in with a collection of wood pieces and teaches me how to carve them into anything I want, and I pass this skill on to Chuck who visits me every day.

Newt and Minho are my constant companions, and there is always one of them with me from the moment they wake up to the second they have to go Running; then once they get back, till they have to go to sleep.

On the first day of the second week, Clint and Jeff allow me to walk around outside, but I can't do any work of any kind. I climb out of bed and almost fall, my legs shaking and not bearing my weight after so long of lying down.

I growl in frustration and brush away the many hands that try to help me, stubbornly trying again. This time I can stand while I keep one hand on the wall, and I slowly walk forward, keeping myself steady by holding onto various objects that I come across.

I walk outside and into the sun for the first time in a week, Clint, Jeff and Winston following me closely in case I fall again. I close my eyes, basking in the warmth of the sunshine, then I hear a shout and look around curiously.

Gally, Zart and Frypan all run to me, huge grins on their faces. "You're up!" Frypan says delightedly and hugs me tightly, then Gally pushes him out of the way and hugs me in his turn, spinning me around as he can due to his height.

"Oh it's good to see you Sis", he says, and I laugh, "You saw me yesterday!"

"But it's not the same as seeing you out here in the sun again!"

Then its Zart's turn to hug me, "You'll be pulling weeds again in no time!" he says jokingly, earning a disapproving look from Clint. "She most definitely will not!" he says passionately, and we all laugh, delighted at my recovery.

~Time Skip~

I'm helping Frypan make cookies in the kitchen; I had begged Clint and Jeff to let me do this, finally convincing them by saying that Fry will be there to watch me and make sure I don't do too much.

"So..." Fry says, and I look at him, hearing something in his voice. "So?" I ask, and he smiles at me, "When are you going to choose?"

"Choose what?" I ask, my mind still on cookies.

He sighs, "Honestly shank; sometimes you can be as smart as klunk. I mean choose between Minho and Newt!"

That brings my attention fully back to earth, and I stare at him, my mouth slightly open, "Wha-? I only just got out of the Med-jack hut and you expect me to make that choice?? That's not a decision I can make in a few days!"

He shakes in mock sadness his head, "Do you honestly expect me to believe that you haven't been thinking about it for the past month?" he asks, and I drop my gaze, a blush warming my face. "Well, maybe I have", I admit, and he cackles in delight.

"I knew it! Who do you like most?"

I sigh, "This is why you wanted me to cook with you, wasn't it?"

"Not the only reason, but a big one"

"And there's no way I can get out of this?"

"Nope!"

"Ugh, fine". I think for a few minutes, Which one do I like more? I start with Minho, running through everything that happened between him and me in the three months I've been here.

He was there for me from the moment I opened my eyes and was the one who calmed me down after I came up in the Box; plus he was the one who introduced me to The Glade and the boys that have become my family.