Part 20 Fairy Tale (Marinette POV)

It had been a strange day. On the way out of school she had passed Adrien. He was talking to her friends. Mylene was in shock, Alix had slipped and fallen (she was wearing roller blades) Alya was freaking out, and Juleka was jumping up and down with Rose. Marinette walked over "What's up?" all the girls looked at Adrien, then at Marinette. They all smiled "Nothing!" Marinette shook her head and smiled. Girls. She had also seen Adrien at the bakery, although he said he was just getting some pastries. The next day she was talking to Alya "so, what do you want to do this afternoon? I'm free!" Alya smiled "Why don't we go to the Trocadero? We can walk around, get some food, and go see a movie afterwards." Marinette smiled "neat, what time?" Alya looked behind her for a brief moment then turned back around "what about four o'clock?" Marinette smiled. "It's a date!" That afternoon she went home after school and changed. She wore a dark red sweater, navy jeans, and matching red flats. Walking to the Trocadero, she found that a lot of people from school were there. She walked over to Alya and her friends "Hi! What are you ..." Adrien was in their midst. He got down on one knee. Marinette began to get light headed. This was happening! Sure, it had already happened, but that was Chat Noir and Ladybug, not Adrien and Marinette. Marinette barely heard the words exit his mouth "Marinette Dupain-Cheng.... Will you be my wife?" Marinette could hardly breath. It was so silent you could hear a pin drop "y-y- YES!" she screamed. Everyone cheered. All of Marinette's best friends squealed, and all the boys congratulated Adrien. Just as Kagami was saying congrats to the couple, Adrien announced "There is something Nino would like to say!" Nino walked over to Alya. He was a generally quiet kid, so being the center of attention made him uncomfortable. He got down on one knee and proposed to Alya. She Shrieked "YES!!!" before tackling him with a hug. Marinette was enjoying the view of the Eiffel tower all lit up when someone stood next to the step she was sitting on. It was Chloe. "Marinette.... I wanted to say sorry. For teasing and bullying you. I did things I shouldn't have done, and said things I didn't mean." Marinette was surprised. This was not normal Chloe behavior. Chloe kept talking before Marinette could say anything "I know this isn't like me, but after I started dating Nathaniel, I started thinking that if he could forgive me for teasing him.... Maybe others could too?" Marinette smiled and patted the seat next to her, inviting Chloe to sit. Chloe did, smiling for once, genuinely. Marinette had to ask "why didn't you like me in the first place?" Chloe sighed "When my Mom left, it was around the time that Adrien's mom had passed away. I was good friends with her, and I felt so empty that when I saw you, all happy, spending time with your mom and friends, I just got jealous." Marinette nodded. Chloe smiled and reclined back, happy that she righted her biggest wrong. They sat, catching up, until they heard yelling. Walking back to the center of the Trocadero, they saw a fight had broken out. Nino was protecting Alya and Nathaniel ran towards Chloe and rushed her off to safety. Lila was in the center of the Trocadero, her eyes practically burning with anger. She was arguing loudly with Adrien "If you would have known the amount of work I put into this! I wouldn't have even tried if I'd known you'd pick her!!" Lila pointed at Marinette as though she were a disgusting pair of puke-colored rain boots (and not the other way around). Lila kept screaming "I love you and you deserve better! I deserve better! She's cheating on you! Two days ago I saw her! I swear!" Lila pulled out her phone and started scrolling through her pictures. Marinette ran over to Adrien "What happened?!" Adrien explained that Lila saw the video Alya had posted of the proposal and had marched over, arguing loudly. In a fit of rage she had yanked off her necklace and thrown it across the plaza. The hard metal necklace hit a gas lamp, which ignited and everyone ran away. Lila turned around her phone "See!?" It was a picture taken two nights ago, when Marinette had kissed Chat Noir on her balcony after their date. Marinette turned beet red and Adrien knit his eyebrows in annoyance, trying to find a way out of this. Lila smiled triumphantly "See! She is cheating on you! I've proven it! Adrien, break up with this cheater and date me! I understand you!" Adrien shook his head in disgust "Lila, you lied to me to try to get me to break up with Marinette?" Lila shook her head "I wasn't lying! I have proo-" Adrien was visibly angry now "You followed her home hoping to catch her cheating?!" Lila frowned "Yes, well no, but-" Adrien walked away. As Marinette followed, Lila grabbed her arm "You. will. regret this. I will get what I want." Her nails dug into Marinette's arm, giving her little cuts in a line "Stay away from Adrien or else" Lila let go, throwing Marinette to the ground "Bye!" Marinette came home shaking. She sat on her bed. What if Lila sent that picture to everyone? Then she will be doomed! She can't be with Chat as he is married to Ladybug, but she will be called a cheater to Adrien! Marinette groaned and flopped sideways on her bed. She sighed and got ready for bed. The next day she got to school late and banged her shin on her desk. Ugh. Alya stopped her at the door "Hey, check this out!" she had photoshopped Lila's photo so it looked like Chat was Adrien "I'll tell everyone that this is the original photo, got it?" Marinette let out a sigh of relief "Yeah, thanks!" Going home, she sat at her desk and twisted her ring around her finger a few times. She didn't like lying, but what choice did she have?

When Adrien heard the footsteps upstairs he immediately debated staying in bed. He didn't want to deal with another maniac girl. But he didn't want her to come downstairs and upset Nathalie, so he rode the elevator up to the room above his house. Darkfly was up there, but this time she was angry, her face streaked with tears. Adrien tilted his head, confused "Why are you here?" Darkfly smiled, giving her a terrifying look "Well, well, look who decided to show up?" Adrien stepped back. Being a superhero for almost three years, he had an uncanny sense of when things were wrong. It was going crazy. He considered running for the exit, but thought better of it. He wasn't transformed and she might attack. Darkfly pouted "What is it? Scared of me?" she laughed. Yeah, this woman is insane, Adrien thought. He ran towards the exit, but Darkfly grabbed him "Not so fast...."