Chapter 34 - A Night of Dancing

Lexi's P.O.V

Mother's fingers gently scoop up my hair framing my face, adding them to my top bun. String at myself in the mirror, I feel as though I am missing something. Not missing, more so just moving through the motions.

Mother gently arranges my hair into loops around the bun, giving off the appearance of a flower. I watch Mother tenderly pick up the diamond clip, and delicately fix it in place. It nips at my skin meaning it's secured. Mothers hands come to rest upon my shoulder as she stares at our reflection. The past few days have been a blur, and Mother has been spacing out, but I think we all have been.

I rest my hand on top of Mothers and my reflection smiles at her which brings her back to reality. With a small smile back, she steps back, admiring her handy work on me. Mother has made me look elegant, she's managed to hide the bags under my eyes and even healed my injured hand. My eyes drift to my hand where my new bracelet sits. It's a simple, thin, silver bracelet, an ouroboros, which highlights how skinny my wrists are now. My reflection still startles met, not quite the buck teeth, know-it-all Granger I use to be.

"The dress is perfect," Mum exclaims holding the satin green dress in her arms.

"I had it especially made for her Jean," Mother says walking over to mum.

I stand up and with one last look in the mirror, I join my Mums by the bed. The bracelet knocks against my wrist, the foreign object, only reminds me of what might happen tomorrow when I arrive at Hogwarts.

"Darling, you better slip into your dress now, the guest should all be here by now," Mother says sliding the dress of the hanger. I take the dress from Mothers's arms and carry it into the wardrobe to change into.

I slide into it with ease, the material hugs my body before flaring out at my waist and trailing behind me. The dress is heavy as I slide my arms into the sleeves, I take the moment to notice all the hand stitching that decorated the dress. The emerald green dress is gorgeous and I can't help but twirl in it. I lean against the wall and slide my silver heels on. Steadying against the wall, I slowly walk across the closet to reach the jewellery. I pick up the Malfoy ring and slide it onto my finger. The silver metal, matching my bracelet, feels cool against my warm skin. I pick up the earrings laid out, a pair of silver hoops and put them on. Next, I lift the necklace, a silver thin chain with a single teardrop diamond rests below my collarbone. Running my hands over the dress I take a deep breath before heading back to my parents. I walk past my packed suitcase for tomorrow and open the doors into my room.

Mother wears a gorgeous floor-length silver dress while Mum wears a short classy gold dress. They both rush towards me and embrace me, it feels comforting and I hug them back.

I feel all the emotions from the past few days catch up to me and I hug them tighter, scared to let them go. "Darling, you're okay, you're safe," Mother whispers as she rubs my back. I nod, biting my lip as I blink back tears.

"I think you're ready," Mum says with a smile that shows off her teeth. "Ready to dance?" She laughs pulling away to link arms with Mother.

"If you can zip me up I will be," I chuckle, turning around for Mother to zip me up. 

"I think a certain redhead is looking forward to dancing with her," Mum giggles.

Although I should be embarrassed at the two of them teasing me, I can't help but be happy. "You both sound like schoolgirls, stop it," I grin.

"Can't help it," Mum laughs, "Let's get going." They let go of each other and both link arms with me. Trapped between the two of them, they tease me about Fred the whole journey to the ballroom.