Chapter 3

"Jenna?" He looked shocked and confused.

"What happened?" I looked at Evan frantically trying to get information to help the baby he held.

"There was a car accident not far from here, they weren't in a car seat. I don't think they're doing so good" he explained almost rambling as I held my arms out to take the baby.

"Here I'll take them" I motioned to the baby.

He sat in shock staring at me, he seemed frozen in his tracks.

"Buckley the baby!" I yelled snapping him back to reality.

"Right, right" he said lightly handing over the baby.

I quickly took the baby into an examining room and started checking vitals before the doctor rushed in. I left the doctor to do his thing with the other nurses and made my way back to the nurses station to start the paperwork. I spotted Evan talking with a head of the hospital and a police officer as I started logging into the computer.

"Soooo, who is that? The guy that came in with the baby?" Annabel leaned on the counter next to me.

"Not now Bel" I sighed trying to make my paperwork for the baby quick.

"That's your new neighbor isn't it?" She smirked at me.

"Again, not now" I laughed shaking my head and getting up to make my rounds.

I finished my rounds and made my way to the nurses station to tie up loose ends. Things had settled down significantly and Annabel had already gone home. A man was wheeled in followed by two paramedics and two police officers. I was at the end of my shift and the person relieving me was already there and said she would handle it.

I got to work as one of the paramedics stopped at the counter. I smiled at her and she started speaking.

"How's that baby doing?" She questioned.

"The one from the accident? She'll be just fine, it's a good thing she got in here so fast it could have been a lot worse" I smiled at her.

"The parents were contacted by the police out in the field, they're making plans to come out as soon as possible" she explained flipping through some papers.

"Wait" I looked up at her confused. "The parents?"

"You haven't heard?" She looked at me shocked. "That baby was kidnapped somewhere near Chicago, police tried to pull him over and he took off. He didn't want to get caught. They're gonna have police presence on him while he recovers." She pointed towards the male that was just wheeled in.

"Wow, no one told me that. I had no idea" I found myself staring at the baby laying in its crib in the room to the left of me. "She got so lucky" I almost whispered.

"She did" I found the paramedic's gaze on the baby as well. "Buck made no hesitation running her here to make sure she was in the best care as soon as possible." She explained not taking her eyes off the baby.

"Buck?" I questioned confused.

"The guy who brought her in" she finally tore her gaze from the baby and looked at me.

"I didn't know his nickname was Buck" I slightly laughed to myself. She gave me an odd look with an eyebrow raised. "Oh, he just moved near me" I explained laughing more.