Chapter 8

"Is it too late to change my mind?" I turned to Buck who was driving, his hand resting on my thigh.

"Considering we're a few minutes away, I'd say so" he laughed slightly squeezing my leg for reassurance.

"I was afraid you'd say that" I smiled at him. I was really glad he was there with me.

When we arrived at my parents house there weren't any cars in the driveway and there was no bustle you would expect in the hours leading up to a last minute wedding.

Turns out everyone was out doing things and gathering what was needed for the wedding the next day. I was thankful, it gave us some time to settle in and relax without all the questions and craziness.

Someone had hung up my dress in my old room and laid out the plan for the weekend on my bed.

"Looks like we have dinner with the family tonight, the ceremony tomorrow afternoon in the backyard then we're going out with Tessa and John's friends in the evening." I explained looking over the itinerary while Buck scanned the room.

"This is a cute picture" he smiled picking up a picture on the dresser I had of myself, Tessa and Greg.

"That's my sister Tess and my brother Greg" I explained making my way to him.

"I didn't know you had a brother" he stated putting the picture back on the dresser.

"Had being the key word" I said sadly. "He passed some years back, right before I left"

"I'm sorry, Jenna" Buck said comfortingly wrapping me in his arms.

"I'm hungry, are you hungry?" I tried changing the subject.

"Let's grab something to eat" he grabbed my hand and led me to the car.

We went to a small diner in the area I used to love. Andy's was filled with many familiar faces and it warmed my heart to see everyone. Buck didn't bring up Greg anymore through lunch and I was more than grateful he hadn't. It had been some time but the wound was still fresh and I didn't know if I was ready to talk about it.

When we got back to the house it wasn't long until everyone started returning home. After the initial meeting and interrogation, I settled in to help finish the decorations while Buck either helped me or mingled with some of the family.

I was shocked to see Greg's wife, Gina, had come out but I really shouldn't have been. They were only married a short time before Greg passed but they had been together since they were in high school. She would always be family.

We finished everything we had to finish for the night just in time to make our dinner reservation. All through dinner Buck seemed extra affectionate. Don't get me wrong, he was always pretty affectionate but this seemed different.

His hands never left me and he was definitely more comforting and reassuring in his touches.

"Everything ok?" I asked him when we got back to the house and were changing for bed.

"Everything's great, your family's awesome" he smiled at me.

"Are you sure?" I eyed him suspiciously.

"Alright, come sit down" he sat down and patted the bed next to him.

"What's going on?" I asked concerned.

"I know about your brother. About how he died and the months leading up to his death" he said sympathetically.

"But how-" I started.

"Gina. We had a talk." He cut me off. "I know he died of cancer and how it was too much on you to see him like that. I know how hard it's had to have been and we don't have to talk about it. I just wanted you to know that if you needed to, I'm always here"