04.13.19

I ran into you three weeks ago. It wasn't planned; in fact, I checked the parking lot like I always do—on the lookout for one of your cars. When I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, I walked inside. With my eyes on the ground, I headed to the drinks. I heard a young voice in line for the cashier, "Hi!" Thinking it was just a toddler excited by strangers, I said hi back. When I looked over, I recognized the little face. The face I would watch fall asleep every weekend. The face I kissed when it was stained with tears. The face I fell in love with, because I thought maybe one day it'd be mine to cherish. It all happened within what seemed like a second, but when my eyes panned over, I saw a lost love flash before me. That's when my heart started to race. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. All I knew in that moment was that I needed to get out as soon as possible. I couldn't see you. I couldn't face you—not after what happened between us. Not after the way our flame burnt out. So I froze. I stared at the energy drinks, my ears trained like a hawk. I heard the cashier say your name. The name I would've died for a year ago. The name I used to scream out for when I was having one of my nightmares. The name I used to write about endlessly.

When I finally made it back to my car, I broke. That's when I asked myself, why do you still have such a hold on me?

Closure. That's the key. I never got my closure.

I was forced to move on on my own. Forced to end the routine I had grown so fond of.

Well the joke's on you. Because while I have found someone who would give their life for me, you'll never find a love like me again.