X. Faith

Two weeks later...

Chapter Ten
Sam

"So what's the deal with this Jade Rosales? How did you get into business with her?" John asks Harvey.

All of us are sitting in the ship in Cairns, Australia, where we picked up video footage of Rosales a few hours ago. It took us a little while to find her, she knows how to stay hidden and avoid attention. She's definitely someone who doesn't want to be found.

"Unlike my other clients, I got into business with Jade after HYDRA fell," Harvey explains, leaning back against the ship, crossing his legs. "She wasn't like other agents, I wouldn't even classify her as an agent. She has powers that she can't control, and because no one in HYDRA could get a handle on her powers, they locked her up and used her as a weapon."

Soroya grips onto Bucky's hand, sorrow filling her features. "That's what happened to my brother. He was used as an unwilling executioner for whoever HYDRA wanted gone. What exactly are her powers?"

"She has described it as molecular combustion. She causes things around her to explode."

"And she has no control over her powers?" I ask.

"No. She came to me after she escaped her base and asked for shelter. I gave it to her, helped her get a fake identity and gave her the location of a HYDRA safe house."

"In exchange for what?" John asks, knowing Harvey never does things out of the good of his heart.

"She is very skilled at cooking. She's also good company to keep when you ignore the fear of imitate death."

Soroya looks at John, Bucky, and I, her voice and expression stern as she practically orders: "When we find her, don't fight her. Rosales is clearly a victim, we can't harm her."

"We can't just let her go free. Ross won't stand for it, and besides, she's dangerous."

"So was Alex, but I helped him get his powers under control. I can help her control her powers."

"Soroya, I admire you wanting to help her, but we can't—"

"We have to try," I cut him off, glancing at Soroya. "No one should be punished for what HYDRA made them do. We have to at least try to help her."

Soroya gives me a smile of gratitude, looking back to John. "When Alex, Bucky, and I were on the run from the law, we only had each other. It wasn't until Steve and Sam helped Bucky and brought him to T'Challa that we all had a chance to be free. I want to give her that hope for a better life, I want to give her the freedom she's been robbed of."

John has that look on his face, the look I've seen many times the past couple months. Anytime Soroya says something hopeful, compassionate, or moral, John has this look of frustration and slight annoyance. John is used to taking the easy road in every mission, but Soroya always takes the hard road. He doesn't like it, but he knows she's right, so disagreeing with her will make him look like an asshole, or more of an asshole than usual.

John sighs, shutting his eyes. "Alright, so what's the plan?"

"When we get to the warehouse we spotted her at, let Bucky and I go in with Caden. She trusts him and it may help if she sees two people who were apart of HYDRA and know what's she's going through."