I don't know.

Killer sighed, sitting on the floor. Tears slid down his face, small gasps and sniffles heard along with them.

It's fine, he said.

He still cares, he said.

They still care, he said.

But he didn't know anymore. There we so many other people, so, so many other people to replace him. Even if he did try his best to keep his place, would it be enough?

He could hear the gang laugh from where he sat, them all joking, not noticing or caring for Killer's absence. Surely they meant no harm, just a small forgetful innocence. It happens.

But why does it hurt so much?

Especially by Cross.

Cross was his first friend here. Cross had managed to change everything in his life. Cross was there when he did stupid shit like... God he's done so much shit he didn't even know at this point. But did that matter?

To Killer, yes.

To Cross, he didn't know.

Besides, there were so many people Cross could be friends with and it wouldn't matter.

Like Nightmare.

Of course, he didn't mind Nightmare taking his place, but it hurt. It really did hurt.

Of course, he didn't entirely notice this at first. It only occurred when Cross had joked of Killer becoming better friends with Dust and that Cross had become a backup. Of course, it wasn't like that, but Killer didn't know the exact reason at the moment.

Not until now.

And that was all he could think of at the moment.

It was about Cross, and how Nightmare was such a better choice for him.

Like, look at it, they shared similar interests a lot, and honestly, they got along well too. And once Killer finally noticed this, he realized that he had most likely become the backup.

Now did he really become the backup? Who knows, but it felt like it.

And no matter how much it hurts him, he was fine with it. Because as long as Cross is happy, it's fine. He'll be fine.

It sucked that Dust had become busy recently, but Error somehow took interest in his existence. It was surprising to be honest.

Killer soon cried harder once he registered the laughter again, knowing that they would know nothing. He couldn't bring himself to tell Cross, he just couldn't. He won't lie, he left writings out for Cross to find, although the other has yet to figure it out.

But that was fine.

All he had to do was tell himself it'd be fine, and it'd be fine.

Because that's how he lived, by lying to himself on a daily.

Cross was so much better than him, how were they even friends? It made no sense to him, how did Cross even tolerate him? He didn't know, all he knew was that his usefulness was nearing its end. Surely Cross won't need him soon, won't want to hear his problems, won't want to know he existed, won't care if he existed.

But of course, as long as Cross was happy, Killer was happy. Nightmare made Cross happy, much happier than Killer ever could because of the twos similar interests. He didn't share as many interests with either of them, and he had to learn that he can't cling to Cross all the time.

Nor could he cling to Dust.

Or Error.

Hell he should just not be clingy in general. But look at him, crying over the fact he had become a back up to his best friend. He had unconsciously distanced himself once his brain managed to connect the twos interest, having somehow secretly pushed himself to go and cling to Dust.

And now Cross said he was a back up for Killer. He hated that, although he did manage to do something with Cross. He's glad he did, so maybe he wouldn't feel like a back up anymore. Killer didn't want him to feel like that. It wasn't true at all. Besides.

Killer was the backup, and he was the backup for everything.

Everyone had him as a backup. He didn't mind, it was fine.

Everything was fine.

I'll be fine.

Standing up Killer glanced at his door, smiling weakly as he heard Nightmare and Cross joke about. He'd excuse himself early from now on, so Cross and Nightmare could do things together and Killer would be out of the way.

Sighing softly, he rubbed his sockets, opening a portal beside him and walking through.

He probably only had Dream left now.

Maybe he shouldn't even be allowed to have Dream either.