chapter nine

009: you'll be good, kid

It took at least a full day to clean up the remaining titans trapped inside the walls. During those hours, the fixed artillery was firing mercilessly. The loud booms kept going nonstop and the hours of sleep wasn't exactly of luxury, but despite that it was reassuring to think that mankind was once again free of the threats of Titans, at least for now.

Gunther sighed beside me, as the rest of us walked along the empty hallways of the headquarters. Eld let out a tired groan as we all wrapped up with today's exhausting work. As a merit for the extra work given to the recon corps in cleaning up, we were all given a day off to rest. Erwin was generous enough to let us off for a while, since we already had an expedition prior to the happenings before Trost being infiltrated.

"Are you sure you don't want to come along, Y/n?" Petra asked, all of them looking at me as the carriages that will take them home waited patiently behind them.

I shook my head again, smiling. "It's fine, Petra. I'm sure Captain will need at least an extra pair of hands for whatever he needs help with around here"

"But it's our day off, all of us should take a break" Eld chimed.

"I'll still be taking a break here anyway. Besides it's not like I have someone to go home to"

They looked at me, eyes drooping in a manner of pity and sorry but I gave them a smile in return to reassure them that everything was fine. The subject matter of family and home was not something sensitive to me nor was it offensive. They didn't know most of my past but that was because I never told them in the first place.

"Go on now, you're families are waiting" I ushered them forward and made them go on aboard the carriages that was waiting. They waved and smiled at me until the hooves of the horses staggered away and their figures dissipated into the distance.

Once they were away, I found myself walking to Erwin's office, knocking once and not waiting for a reply before pushing myself in, finding him holding onto some key and examining it. When he noticed my presence, he kept it in his pocket and turned to me.

"I'm not exactly surprised you aren't taking a break" he mused.

"I don't exactly have any place to stay in, I basically live here" I answered, making him lightly chuckle at the response.

"Well, I would urge you to at least go down town and enjoy yourself but I'm also glad that you're here"

I cocked eyebrows upwards in question, taking a seat down the nearest chair and waiting for him to say more.

"Eren Yeager is currently under the custody of the Military Police, with further persuasion I was given permit to speak to him today. We still don't know what his origins are but if we can find out anything about his intentions then maybe we can have him over on our side and work for us."

Confused, I only nodded. "Okay, but what those this have to do with me?"

"Come along with us and help us talk to the boy. He's currently detained underground and I believe that out of all people, you are more capable to ease out his comfort, as I dare say, you've been in a 'similar' situation as him"

My chuckle echoed across the room, clearly amused with Erwin's words. It was true and indeed, history did have a tendency to repeat itself here in the Survey Corps. Imagine the nostalgia but most of all, I was concerned of Eren's current situation. After all, he's still a kid, probably confused and terrified to be in this entanglement.

"And I don't think Levi is very good with calming nerves so he might scare him shitless, instead."

My laugh grew louder. I never knew Erwin could actually be so sarcastic and funny, it didn't even look like he was trying at all which made it all the more hilarious.